We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip to wayanad

Which Kalpetta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bangalore
Level Contributor
26 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
trip to wayanad

We are planning a trip to wayanad from bangalore from Aug 15 - Aug 18 (approx 3N 3D). I have browsed the net & aggregated some information. We have 1 yr old kid so would be mostly skipping all places requiring trekking.

I need some help on the following matters:

1) Weather: What would be the weather condition during that time (Aug 15-18). Would it be raining badly & many places would be closed?

2) Safari: Are the safaris open again in Tholpetti/Wayanad. I heard they were closed. Which one is best to take. Can we take 1 yr old to day/night safari or both? What is start point for wayanad safari.

3) Homestay with kitchen: Pls suggest a good & budget (<1500) homestay which can allow us to use kitchen for preparing food for the kid.

4) Will kuruva island be open during that time?

I have planned the following. Pls suggest any addition or removal considering the weather & the 1 yr old kid and the duration of trip:

Mananthavady Area:

----------------------------

Tholpetti wildlife - near kalpetta/Mananthavady; jeep safari (3pm-5pm) & night safari?

Irupu falls - about 7Km from Kutta; trekking for 15 - 20 minutes to see falls; temple at base

Thirunelly temple - Mananthavady(30km), Kutta (20km); Papanasini stream bath (500m trek);

Kuruva Island?

Pazhassi Park - inside Mananthavady

Kalpetta Area:

----------------

Pookot lake - boating;

Lakkidi view point - further 5k down pookot lake road;

Banasura Sagar Dam - speed boating; 21 Km away from Kalpetta

Wayanad wild life safari?

Mostly skipping:

---------------------

chembra peak

Muthanga wildlife - near sulthan bathery

Jain Temple - 1km from Sultan Bathery

Edakkal caves - heavy trekking involved; steep climbs

Soochipara Waterfalls - involves trekking (1km)

Pakshipathala - hardest trekking (7km)

Meenmutty falls - little hard trekking is required

Please also suggest where best to stay to cover both Manathavady & Kalpetta attractions

Edited: 3:52 pm, July 21, 2013
Kalpetta, India
Destination Expert
for Kalpetta, Kozhikode, Mysuru (Mysore), Kodagu (Coorg), Sultan Bathery, Wayanad District, Kerala
Level Contributor
841 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip to wayanad

Hi,

Welcome to Wayanad.

1) Weather: By Aug, hopefully it should be pleasant weather. However, as this year we had heavy rains comparing to last year. Mostly, Kuruva Island will be closed.

2) Safari: Safaris will be open. Only day safari is available and for 01 year child it is fine. You need to hire jeeps at Muthanga and Tholpetty .

3) Homestays generally wont be available with kitchen. You may have to check for Serviced apartment/cottage.

4) After heavy rains, water level will be high and mostly it will be closed.

Mananthavady Area:

----------------------------

Tholpetti wildlife and Irupu falls can be done

Thirunelly temple - Will be little difficult with small child

Kuruva Island - may not be open during the time.

Pazhassi Park - inside Mananthavady

Kalpetta Area:

----------------

Pookot lake, Lakkidi view point and Banasura Sagar Dam

Muthanga can be done early morning- safari at 0700 AM. Reach before 0630.

You can stay near Kalpetta and do a day trip to Mananthavady area.

Regards

Sam Varghese

Groowynd Holidays

Bangalore
Level Contributor
26 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip to wayanad

Hi Sam,

Thanks a lot for your inputs & helpful tips.

I will share the trip report once back.

~Dinesh

Kasaragod, India
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: trip to wayanad

hi if you are going irippu falls it will be over flowing . and soochipara and meenumutty are closed due to copious rainfall in the dist . its a high range so temperature may toch min15-17 degree at night .you cant go kuruva as its closed .banasuram dams shutter are open 746mts reached max hight . you can see that . please take all kinds of warm clothes . its very windy place . you can go to pookode may be high rain may catch up in these area. you can visit lakkidi view point it will be very cold for small children in those area . take raincoats . this area recives highest amount of rainfall in kerala . and 2nd highest in india

cheerapunjee of kerala and take all necessary this while going this place if there is heavy rain . leeches are also common here

regards!

Bangalore
Level Contributor
26 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip to wayanad

Hi, Thanks for the weather update. I guess it is still raining pretty much. Hoping that Monsoon will be over by Aug 15 considering that it started pretty early this year. We are now kind of doubtful about the trip with regards to the weather.

What is the common remedy for leeches if we encounter one. Also is there heavy rush for safari tickets? would reaching half an hour before be sufficient?

~Thanks

Kalpetta, India
Destination Expert
for Kalpetta, Kozhikode, Mysuru (Mysore), Kodagu (Coorg), Sultan Bathery, Wayanad District, Kerala
Level Contributor
841 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trip to wayanad

Hi

1. Since yesterday it has not been raining much. Hopefully, by the time of your trip, you will have a good climate.

2. You can carry little salt with you. If you notice leeches on your leg.. do not pull it, just put some salt on it.

3. For 15 Aug period good crowd is expected and it will be better if you can be there at around 0600 h for morning safari.

Regards

Sam

Bangalore
Level Contributor
26 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trip to wayanad

Thanks a lot Sam.

Just needed the final weather update since you are staying there. Is it raining regularly? Weather forecast is showing rain for most of this week. Also I hope landslides are not related to this part of kerala?

Regards

Kalpetta, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
841 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trip to wayanad

Hi

Weather is very good these days. Wayanad is not affected by land slides.

Regards

Sam

Bangalore
Level Contributor
26 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trip to wayanad

Thanks guys. I had promised a trip report. I am quite delayed.. but here it is:

…blogspot.in/2014/03/trip-to-wayanad-from-ba…

Kottayam, India
Destination Expert
for Kerala
Level Contributor
6,061 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: trip to wayanad

Nice report cool guy

there is not much trip reports for wayanad and i appreciate your efforts for posting the same

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: trip to wayanad

Hi CoolGuyBangalore,

Yours is very nice blog! Thank you for sharing. Keep posting:)

Cheers,

Arun

Travelers Point | Team Experience Kerala