We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upscale Family Friendly AI (w/Good Food/Drinks)

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Georgia
Level Contributor
431 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic

** I wasn't sure which was the best forum to post this...so I'm cross posting in the forums associated with the two main resorts I'm currently considering. **

We are looking for an upscale family friendly AI resort for a short stay (probably 5 nights) before school starts back. We will be traveling with our 6 year old daughter. Here are some of the things we are looking for:

* Upscale, modern family friendly AI

* Nice, spacious well-appointed rooms, preferably with a sitting area and stocked mini-bar

* Room service available

* Very good food / drinks – I know food is subjective…but this is the area that tends to get the most criticism from hubby when we are considering resorts in Mexico…so I would appreciate any and all feedback on resorts that you consider to have good to very good food (Jamaica tends to be our ‘go-to’ vacation destination…and he loves the food there)

* Number of restaurants available with A/C

* Very good service

* Nice kid-friendly pool(s) with a good ratio of shaded loungers to the number of guests (would like to still be able to find loungers even if some guests play the ‘towel game’)

* Activities available for 6 year old

These are the main two that I’ve been looking at…

Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Esmeralda

Finest Playa Mujeres

Here are a couple others that have been suggested for me to check out as well…

Royalton Riviera Cancun

Hyatt Ziva

Are there others that I should consider or any of the above that I should not consider? TIA!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
631 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upscale Family Friendly AI (w/Good Food/Drinks)

We went to Finest with our son when he was about 7/8 months....I think that was too young at the time to enjoy the facilities...but it was an easy trip because he wasn't walking yet...lol!

We had a ground floor plunge pool suite. I would not book that type of room again - maybe a swim up...or a higher level with a view.

But I did tour the property - the kids club looked great. I think 6 would be the age to go....5-10yrs or so...

lots of food options when napping and bedtimes aren't a thing.(the restos didn't open until late when we were there)

The location is good because you're going for a short stay.

The kids we saw there enjoyed the long pools...and there were lots of games tables.

OR

I would look for a resort that has an amazing lazy river that you can enjoy with your little one instead of being separated to the kids club

The only way I think the resort could improve on the kids area would have been to put a pool with some shaded loungers for the adults to lie about on while watching the kids......they didn't have any there at the time - could be different now - we went during opening month.

It pains me to say this...because we are such loyal Excellence guests....we just love the service and food - we had a better "family" vacation at Ocean Turquesa.....only because we had the perfect room & location.

The food definitely did not measure up.....it was not terrible, just on the plainer side.

We had a ground floor room facing the ocean....and the bedroom & washroom was separated by a door to the living room ( good for baby naps).The living room opened onto a shaded patio, looking at the ocean and close to the pool/restaurant and bar. This was just an amazing situation. the spa was so - so...good massages and interested hydro-therapy lounge.

Karisma Generations, looks interesting - I'm not sure what the beach is like though and I believe it is quite a drive from the airport.

I guess the takeaway from this is when booking with a little one, it's worth it to upgrade to the perfect room.

Georgia
Level Contributor
431 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Upscale Family Friendly AI (w/Good Food/Drinks)

Thanks for the great feedback. Someone else just recently suggested that I check out Generations as well...so I'm looking into it. Yes, we have definitely spent more time looking for the best rooms for us since the little one came along. She's pretty happy with a pool, lazy river, and a few activities here and there. When we visit resorts with a kids club, she tends to visit a few times...but not for long periods...she may do an activity for an hour or so each day. Since we are going for such a short time...I'm not sure if she would get a chance to spend any time in a kids club...because she would definitely want her pool time. :)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
631 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Upscale Family Friendly AI (w/Good Food/Drinks)

If Generations is too far a drive for a short time - I would go with Finest, swim up suite - and look into what you get if you upgrade to Finest Club?

I recall saying to my husband that we would go when he is older(our son...not husband lol), swim up Finest Club.

We would not want to face the main pool/restaurants just because they were busy....but some people may love that!

The water circuit at the spa was lovely...that was my favourite part of the trip and the drinks were great - so many options!

Georgia
Level Contributor
431 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Upscale Family Friendly AI (w/Good Food/Drinks)

Thanks. We wanted the Finest Club and, preferably, a swim up suite if we went with Finest...but they only have the standard junior suites and standard junior suites with plunge pool available for the dates we are looking...so I'm taking a closer look at the family concierge suites available at Paradisus La Esmeralda and they seem to have availability on our dates...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
631 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Upscale Family Friendly AI (w/Good Food/Drinks)

That resort looks like a great choice! we will consider in the future as well.

Looking forward to your review.

Georgia
Level Contributor
431 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Upscale Family Friendly AI (w/Good Food/Drinks)

Thanks!

new york
Level Contributor
64 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Upscale Family Friendly AI (w/Good Food/Drinks)

We went to Paradisus last year, it was amazing, we are foodies and the food was great, two of the restaurants the food was NYC restaurant quality. Kiddie pool. fridge w soft drinks, beer and some snacks, rooms service, great service, new hotel

Georgia
Level Contributor
431 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Upscale Family Friendly AI (w/Good Food/Drinks)

Thanks vsweety! Which two restaurants did you think had food that was NYC restaurant quality? I want to make sure that we try and go to those while there. :)

new york
Level Contributor
64 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Upscale Family Friendly AI (w/Good Food/Drinks)

Mole was amazing, real mexican food.... not cheesy american quesadias, and Vento was great, you can ask for the chef and he will custom make any dish for you, he made salmon risotto for my husband. we always get one in Wolfgang pucks restaurant and this was one better!

Georgia
Level Contributor
431 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Upscale Family Friendly AI (w/Good Food/Drinks)

Great! Thank you!