We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secret's resorts, opinions please

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
663 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Secret's resorts, opinions please

Cross posting just in case.

Which is the "best" Secrets resort in Mexico in your OPINION, and why? Trying to make an informed decision as to which resort is best for us. The beach is hugely important to us (we are not pool people) then the food is very important. Nightlife doesn't particularly matter. I think everything else that would be important to us (rooms, service etc would be expected to be the same across all the properties)

Thanks in advance.

I've searched and read reviews, looked at pictures etc, but still appreciate input. :)

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
663 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Secret's resorts, opinions please

Thanks everyone! Loving the input!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Secret's resorts, opinions please

Seems the choice is quite clear but just keep in mind that Secrets Maroma is significantly more expensive. Sometimes the price difference is moderate and sometimes it's dramatic. I think the other Secrets properties discount significantly at times but Maroma does not have to resort to this in order to book up.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
5,225 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Secret's resorts, opinions please

SMB does not need to discount ever.. The beach sells itself... If you can afford the price tag, then go for it. For us, it is not worth the price tag...

Saint John, Canada
Level Contributor
172 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Secret's resorts, opinions please

We have been to both STV and SMB and enjoyed them both for different reasons. Why don't you split your time between the two? We do that now so we can enjoy more than one resort for our vacations. It also helps keep the cost down when you want to stay at a more expensive resort. We found the food excellent at both, service was top notch. The rooms at STV are larger, more chic, better views and IMHO a step above the rooms at SMB. The beach is beautiful at both, but more chairs and a more resort feel at Maroma.

WV
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Secret's resorts, opinions please

We have been to Secrets Capri and Secrets Maroma. We have avoided STV because if we wanted concrete luxury or Miami vibe, we'd stick to FL. We loved the intimate service at SC, but the beach variance will deter us from returning. We got Maroma on a steal, under 300 per night-not per person, and although it was good, the service and food were not as good as I expected it would be. There was nothing worth the usual extra price point for us. We are looking forward to the opening of the new resort AM is building in Akumal as that is one of our favorite stretches of beach in the Riviera Maya.

Mentioned in this post
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Secrets Maroma Beach...
13,226 Reviews
Playa Maroma, Mexico
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Downingtown...
Level Contributor
562 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Secret's resorts, opinions please

Went there last yr and we r at excellence now I would choose excellence there is only 2 pools at secrets and less restaurants the pools close at 6 at secrets 8 here the patios r bigger and better

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,624 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Secret's resorts, opinions please

I can agree with some of your thoguhts MF...

Loved SMB!!!, but some of the ala-carte dining did not truly 'wow' us.

Eveerything else did!

Bonnie, the comments about Excellence are also common.

But, as 'beach people' who travel to such a destination to be on a great beach...

How many have said, take Excellence and move it down onto a great stretch of beach, now that just could NOT be beat!

Edited: 9:30 pm, May 13, 2014
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: Secret's resorts, opinions please

Currently, Secrets Maroma is the best, but I have a feeling Secrets Playa Mujeres will top Maroma once open.

Mentioned in this post
Playa Mujeres
Playa Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
4,474 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Secret's resorts, opinions please

When you read the TA reviews on any hotel you will always get some posts which adore the place and some who did not rate that highly, particularly re food/dining experience. For me SMB had a great beach and entertainment in the evening but others might not feel that is important compared to say a Spa. So all you can do IMO is highlight what you like and identify similar in other TA reviews.

20. Re: Secret's resorts, opinions please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, May 17, 2015