We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Live from EPM...

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Live from EPM...

My husband and I arrived today to celebrate our first anniversary. We honeymooned here last year and - to be 100% honest - I liked but didn't LOVE EPM. But when we were planning our anniversary trip, we thought we'd give it another try. It's an easy flight and the all-inclusive aspect makes it even easier to start relaxing upon arrival.

So here we are. We did EC again (which I 100% recommend if you're looking for more of the high-end experience). Check in went soooo much smoother than last time and the resort feels less crowded. I emailed Vilma (thanks travelinman!) prior to arrival requesting 8b and my travel agent did the same. I was still nervous since I know it's a request and not a guarantee. I literally almost hugged the woman at EC checkin when she confirmed we were in a swim-up in 8b. My husband thinks I'm insane. :)

For those of you as obsessed with the construction as I was prior to our trip, I haven't noticed a thing other than its obvious presence when pulling up to the resort. We haven't been by 9 yet, but did have lunch at Lobster House (ceviche and shrimp tacos were delish). No noise whatsoever.

That said, when we were checking in, we weren't even told that the building 9 pool is EC. They only pointed out the pools by 7 and 8 as EC. So maybe they have decided to stop putting EC guests there now? 100% speculation, but that was interesting to me.

Currently sipping a margarita by the pool and may not update much, but for those who are wondering if the construction is affecting the experience, it's not. At least not for me and I am probably the pickiest person you could ever meet. :)

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,868 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Live from EPM...

So what is acceptable to mix Grey Goose with and where do we get the list of the acceptable mixers?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,558 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Live from EPM...

Shea - we had an issue with the new policy (that we didn't know anything about) when we were there a few weeks back. We got the requested liquor in our room, but after we drank all of our red wine, the mini bar didn't replace it. We kept telling the EC concierge that we need it replaced and it didn't come. Literally after 4 days, we finally found Carolina and when we got back later, we had red wine in our room. I had found Alexander earlier in the day too and told him, and he brought us a bottle too - so we then had two bottles! It just shouldn't be that hard. Problem with consistency. I talked to Dalel about it when we were there and she told me about the new policy. I told her that I'd gladly give up 2 of my bottles so my wife could have red wine whenever she wanted it. These things should be communicated better when you first arrive and it would avoid confusion / confrontation later.

Erie, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
726 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Live from EPM...

Hey NoSnow, if you ever get that list of "acceptable" mixers foru Grey Goose, could you forward it on? I wouldn't want to appear unsophisticated in front of the critics.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Live from EPM...

Spending the day outside our room at the EC pool. Couldn't even be bothered to leave for breakfast or lunch. Room service has been excellent.

Dinner last night at Agave was the only negative part of our trip so far. We're hoping to experience a 180 tonight at the hibachi at Spice.

Did a bit of investigating re: building 9. It is still EC and it is still in use. But not without lots of complaints and unhappy guests, which is understandable. We still haven't made it by there but will make a point to do so tonight. We've been distracted by all of the fun and relaxation. :)

As for the earlier in-room liquor question, in EC, we got the following: red wine, Tanqueray (last year it was Bombay Sapphire, but I haven't seen it anywhere this trip), Flor de Cana rum, 1800 reposado, and Svedka vodka. Upon request, we got A bottle of Jim beam and Tres Generaciones blanco (mix with grapefruit juice for a Paloma and thank me later). Mini fridge is stocked with Coca Cola Lights and Corona and Corona Lights per our request. What is it about the potato chips that gets me every afternoon when I need a little pre-dinner snack?

Service has been impeccable aside from Agave last night. We are already talking about booking a return trip for our anniversary next year. :)

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Live from EPM...

Sorry to hear about Agave. Was it the service or food?

Thanks for the updates! Have a great time!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,558 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Live from EPM...

Love the Sabritas chips (papas britas)! I'm a big fan of those chili limon peanuts!! cacahuates!!!

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Live from EPM...

A few updates...

First off, if you're on the fence about Excellence Club, go for it. We have been treated like royalty. Paul at the EC pool by building 8 has been absolutely incredible. Last night, he secured a special dining experience at Flavor Market for us. After we told him about our disappointing dinner at Agave (our fave last year), we were contacted by EC letting us know the chef at Agave wants to host us again on our last night (sadly, tomorrow) to make it right with us. This is so above and beyond our expectations and we couldn't be more grateful.

We have spent most of our time lounging outside our room while David at Cielo bar mixes up delicious treats for us. We did venture out to Isla Mujeres on Tuesday, which was wonderful. We rented a golf cart, explored the island, saw the floating island made of plastic bottles (an interesting experience to say the least). We finished it off with massive margaritas and fish tacos at Ballyhoo.

One of our favorite experiences so far was dinner at Spice two nights ago when we asked for sushi and to just keep it coming. We were surprised with lots of tasty rolls that aren't on the menu. It was soooo good and really fun.

The biggest difference from this trip to last is that we have not been shy to ask for things, whether it be surprising us with a tasty cocktail of the bartender's choosing or selecting a waiter's favorite dishes at a restaurant. Getting to know the staff and tipping hem for their hard work has also been important to us.

Someone on TA said EPM is what you make of it and they were totally right. This isn't the Four Seasons, but it's awfully special in its own right.

Louisville
Level Contributor
231 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Live from EPM...

Thanks for the updates...glad to hear they are taking special care of their guests when informed of an issue. We don't go in expecting perfection, but if we encounter something amiss we definitely speak up and EPM has been great about making it 'right.'

29. Re: Live from EPM...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, May 17, 2015