We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villa Del Palmar - Cancun Roll Call

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Winnipeg, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Villa Del Palmar - Cancun Roll Call

My Husband and I (With our 11 month old) will be there from the 19th of Jan to the 26th. We are super excited to be going as we haven't been on a proper winter vacation in two years.

Let me know when you will be there, I look forward to meeting you all!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
158 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Villa Del Palmar - Cancun Roll Call

We'll be there from the 3rd to the 10th. Can't wait. If you have any questions once we are back please send me a PM.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
719 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Villa Del Palmar - Cancun Roll Call

Hi Shanncg - I would like to contact you once you return from Villa Del Palmar to gain some feedback about your stay. This resort has piqued our interest, however, I am very concerned about the numerous reviews that mention room theft. A lot of people have reported that items have been stolen directly from the rooms (many cases of cell phones & cash missing) as well as items taken from the in-room safe. This alarms me a great deal because we rely heavily on the room safes to protect our valuables.

I went to the Villa Del Palmar website to see what the policy is regarding the theft of personal items and it states under the Terms & Conditions section that VDP is not responsible for the loss of any items, including items from their own safes! This explains why people have struggled to get help & compensation from the Management when they've reported these thefts. The hotel has a written policy of not being responsible at all.

Here is the excerpt from their website:

>>The Hotel is not and shall not be liable for any loss or damage to property owned by, or in the custody of the Client or its guests, employees, agents or contractors, or the external suppliers. Safe deposit boxes may be provided by the Hotel for the Clients use at the sole risk of the Client.<< villapalmarcancun.com/terms-and-conditions.p…

This might be a normal policy for other resorts in the Cancun-Riviera Maya area as well but in other cases that I've read about, the Management normally makes a real effort to investigate and resolve (compensate) the guest for the theft. This does not appear to happen at Villa Del Palmar. There may be some kind of investigation to see who accessed the room but in 99% of the cases, the people who had items stolen were never compensated in any way.

The lack of responsibility from this hotel means the staff will continue to steal from it's guests. Please take note of this and lock up all your valuables. Do not leave anything of value in your clothing or beach bags either. Many people reported that items were taken from the pockets of their pants and purses and beach bags in the rooms.

I look forward to catching up with you when you return and hope that everything goes well while you are at VDP. Have a great vacation!

Edited: 8:08 pm, December 18, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
158 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Villa Del Palmar - Cancun Roll Call

Hi Rain,

I've read those reviews too but was always struck by the fact that people didn't seem to be locking up their valuables in the safe. I haven't seen any (yet) that say items were taken from the safe. I'm hoping it's the type that you program with your own code. I have always made it past of my routine before leaving the room for any reason to lock all our valuables up - im hoping it will work well at vpd too. I'll give you an update when I return!

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,802 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Villa Del Palmar - Cancun Roll Call

We have stayed there twice--both times in a 1BR OV suite. We only "lost" one item to theft--a very good set of specialty earbuds that were left on the coffee table with our papers. Not extremely expensive--just a PITA that they were taken. We put the netbook in the safe--good thing, I guess. This happened after breakfast when we went to the pool. Our loss--we will know better next time.

Edited: 3:13 pm, December 29, 2013
Princeton, Minnesota
Level Contributor
76 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Villa Del Palmar - Cancun Roll Call

We stayed last year and are going again this month. We NEVER had issue with theft. If it is valuable to you, then you must lock it up or pay the price....

12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Villa Del Palmar - Cancun Roll Call

We will be there Jan 11-15. We are not leaving Cancun until the 17th, but thought we would take a look around when we get down there and decide where to stay for our last two nights. Good idea or very stupid idea? Lol

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
719 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Villa Del Palmar - Cancun Roll Call

Gretchen ~ I would advise against staying at VDP as it is not in the Cancun hotel zone and is very secluded. The beach & water is not the greatest either and won't compare to the beauty of the beaches and ocean colors in Cancun.

How do you plan to get there and back to the airport? Taxis to and from VDP are very expensive due to the distance to downtown Cancun and the airport. For the last two nights of your stay I would consider another property that isn't so remote.

Lastly, I wouldn't get sucked into booking one of their "promo" deals that sound too good to be true. This hotel is a time-share property first and foremost - they lure you in with a cheaper rate in the hopes of selling you something. You could potentially spend more time trying to check in and check out due to all the delays & hoops you have to jump through to get your room. I wouldn't want to waste the last two days of my vacation this way.

Edited: 12:37 am, January 05, 2014
12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Villa Del Palmar - Cancun Roll Call

Thank you so much for your advice, but my heart is set on the VDP. My concern is wether to book directly with them ($213 night for EP) or go through a website like expedia. The not so clear water is a bit of a drawback for me, which is why I wanted to do the hotel zone or isla mujeres the last two nights. Shuttles seem to be a good option, and I have also done a lot of reading and found out that there is also a bus across the street from the VDP that the locals and workers use that brings you into downtown. This is my first trip to Cancun, so I am aware that I may end up regretting this decision, but the rooms (which wee plan on spending a lot of time in) and the pools and grounds are by far my favorite of the non al hotels.

Waterford...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Villa Del Palmar - Cancun Roll Call

Nikki I am sorry we are going to miss you. We will be there the 9th-15th with our 8 month old daughter!

12 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Villa Del Palmar - Cancun Roll Call

Rachel, did you get my reply? Lol, it was my first pm on trip advisor and I did it on my iPhone so I'm not sure it went through.