We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

U.S.A. mobile phones - international sim card?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Federal Way...
Level Contributor
348 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
U.S.A. mobile phones - international sim card?

for those traveling across the border from the States -

Did you chance your mobile phone sim card to an international card?

When I purchased my phone (about 8 months ago) they asked if I was traveling out of the lower 48 which at that time I said no. Obviously now we'll be heading down to EPM in less than a few weeks.

I guess I should stop by the store and have them change it out?

Dave

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
6,014 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: U.S.A. mobile phones - international sim card?

Holiday phone .com. 5 cents a min, all inbound Calls free. Had it for 3 yrs. Kicks but. Delivered to ur house front door b4 u leave. So, u up in runnin when u Get There. Es The bomb. Gotta be unlocked for The chip... Es like 30 $ at the local phone store to Unlock, a Phone

Edited: 12:38 pm, October 06, 2013
Hillsborough, New...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: U.S.A. mobile phones - international sim card?

Please see a post I made this morning on page one of these listings under title Cell Phones as I was just there last week. There are options other than a Sim card depending on your phone & carrier. There is also Viber (a free app that uses Wi-Fi) & if you are talking a tablet or I-pad you can use Skype.

Federal Way...
Level Contributor
348 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: U.S.A. mobile phones - international sim card?

Thanks I just downloaded skype and tested it out with my daughter

california
Level Contributor
142 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: U.S.A. mobile phones - international sim card?

Viber is grreat. My son was in Switzerland last year and thats how we stayed in touch. It's free too

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: U.S.A. mobile phones - international sim card?

I have a TelCel Amigo prepaid SIM that gives me cheap local calls and internet. This is something to buy in Mexico, where it costs about 12 bucks and comes with 4 bucks of airtime credit. Bought in the US they're going to be several times as much and may give you a number in an area code you won't be visiting.

There are several options for making calls using WiFi. In addition to those mentioned above, MagicJack lets you make free calls to the US without a MagicJack account. Talkatone lets you make outgoing calls using a free Google Voice account (which isn't actually a normal feature of Google Voice). Calls to the US and Canada are free this way.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: U.S.A. mobile phones - international sim card?

We bring our iPad and make video calls via Skype. Call as often as we like, receive calls, and talk as long as we wish. Cost: $0

Stopped paying for phone calls years ago.

Edited: 10:20 am, October 09, 2013
Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: U.S.A. mobile phones - international sim card?

Except that with Skype, outgoing phone calls are NOT free. *Skype-to-Skype* calls are free, but this won't help if you need to phone your bank or anyone else not on Skype. For that, you need to do pay-as-you-go or buy a plan. Those aren't expensive, but they're not free.

Much the same applies to most other solutions such as Viber. Things like Facetime can be great, but only if the person you wish to contact has an Apple device.

For actual phone calls (where a telephone rings at the receiving end), there are fewer options and even fewer that are free.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: U.S.A. mobile phones - international sim card?

Skype to non Skype is 2.3 cents/minute.

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: U.S.A. mobile phones - international sim card?

"Skype to non Skype is 2.3 cents/minute."

As I said, not expensive but not free.

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
92 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: U.S.A. mobile phones - international sim card?

Tango also seems to be a popular alternative.