We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to EPM in August - a few questions

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Going to EPM in August - a few questions

Cant wait to get there, but I have a few questions.

When using credit cards in Mexico, is it chip and pin or the old fashioned signature?

We are travelling from the UK with Thomas Cook - how do we find our direct transport to the hotel from the airport? The Thomas Cook website and their travel agent's information is not remotely helpful.

My wife is a vegetarian who also does not like cheese (although she is not vegan), could somebody post any vegetarian menu choices available at the moment please?

Is the Wi - Fi any good? and does apples FaceTime work back to the UK?

Wells, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to EPM in August - a few questions

Hello,

We have just returned from a two week stay at EPM and thoroughly enjoyed it so you have a lot to look forward to!

I used my card twice in Mexico and it was chip and pin. We used wifi in the rooms and it seemed to work great however I did not use FaceTime. The hotel has free use of computers 24 hrs on the top level of the main lobby and it is always quiet in case you did have problems.

Although I am not a vegetarian, I only eat chicken and vegetable based dishes and found that there was a great array of food that met my criteria. Not only this but if you like the sound of a dish but without a certain ingredient/s then just ask and they will happily amend it. I did this on several occasions and it was never an issue.

I hope this helps. Have a great holiday!

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to EPM in August - a few questions

Thanks Rosie, any must do tips while we are there?

Wells, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to EPM in August - a few questions

No problem :)

We went on two day trips whilst we were there. One was pre-booked which was a swimming with dolphins trip. We did this through dolphin discovery on Isla mujeres and would recommend if you haven't done it before and would consider it as we had a great time. We returned to Isla mujeres on our own for a second time and it was great fun again! We got a ferry from ultramar which is about 15 minutes away by taxi and the ferry also took about this long which was quick and easy. We rented a golf cart for 500 pesos which gave us all day on it and we loved going around the island stopping off to look at the sights such as the turtle sanctuary and some beaches. There are also great shops and market style shops on the island for souvenirs and presents.

My partner loved the catamarans on the beach and would often go out on them for an hour or two with some people, you can take some cans of beer on them as well. All non-motorised sport is free. We tried the activities some days as well such as the rifle shooting and was great fun. You can even win a spa prize!

This place is great because you can be as relaxed as you want but there are also lots of things to do if not.

Rosie

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
397 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to EPM in August - a few questions

Hi you are going to an absolutely fantastic hotel, the best we have ever been to.

Regarding your credit/debit card, the hotel does have chip and pin but sometimes the systems go down and they you just have to sign. While shopping in Cancun its a mixture of chip and pin and signature. We have been 10 times and have never had a problem with either of the systems. One recommendation though, in some stores when you present your card, you could be asked if you with to pay in the local currency or Uk pounds. We have found that you get a better rate if you choose to pay in the local currency.

Once you have passed through all of the security measures in the airport, simply head straight out of the airport terminal. Do not stop to talk to any of the reps inside the building itself as the majority of these are timeshare reps. Once outside you will see all of the tour reps waiting. The Thomas Cook rep will have a paddle/notice board held up for you to identify them.

Wifi in the hotel is fantastic, we used both face-time and viber for free calls. You may need to come out of your room to locate the best signal though. I always found it to be very good just by the sol bar or near the ec pools.

Regarding special menu's. My partner cannot eat cheese too and he has no problems at all in ordering dishes without cheese. The majority of evening dishes are cooked to order, so he simply asks the waiter to ask the chef to prepare the dish without cheese. You should have no problems at all. He likes to go into Toscana at lunchtime, where a special hawiian pizza is prepared for him without cheese. There are not many places in the world that go to the effort that EPM does to ensure that you get just what you want.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
164 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to EPM in August - a few questions

I can't be too helpful with most of this, but I've traveled to Excellence twice as a vegetarian -- EPM in 2009 and ERC in 2011. I like cheese, but don't LOVE it, and would always prefer a cheeseless dish to one covered in cheese. I'm not a vegetarian anymore, but do still eat vegetable-heavy dishes regularly, and I'm excited to go back to EPM once more.

I had NO problems finding plenty of food to eat. They're incredibly accommodating and willing to work with you on any substitutions or special requests -- nicely asked, of course! :)

I hear the food has gotten even better since my last trip, so I'm incredibly excited for you (and for my next trip in September!)!

6. Re: Going to EPM in August - a few questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 27, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Playa Mujeres