We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golfing...

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
E P
Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
54 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Golfing...

We are heading to EPM in about 2 weeks. Not sure what our plans will be but we have a list of ideas started. If we want to golf on a weekday should we be making a reservation now...or is this a course that they would most likely have a morning tee time a few days in advance? Also i assume they would have club rentals...i don't want to pack my clubs in the event we decide to do other things during our 6 day stay.

Thanks for any input or insight!

Eileen

Timmins, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golfing...

Hi Eileen,

It wouldn't hurt to shoot Roberto Delgado an email at the Playa Mujeres Golf Club (assuming that is where you want to golf) and enquire as to morning availability for the week you will be there (and if they have special offers for EPM guests). He's pretty good at getting back to you right away. They do have rental clubs (Calloway's for $35). If you think you will golf twice or less, rentals are the way to go. More than that, it's worth the hassle of bringing your own clubs. In any event pack your shoes, glove, hat, tees and a box of balls, that way you'll be ready. Enjoy.

Maggie

E P
Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
54 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Golfing...

Thanks maggie!

Long Island NY
Level Contributor
103 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Golfing...

we will be staying at EPM and my husband will be playing golf with some friends. Is it safe to go off grounds and is there security at golf course?

Timmins, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Golfing...

...as long as your husband doesn't go thrashing around in water hazards to retrieve a ball it's perfectly safe! Man up, kiss the $3 goodbye, take the stroke and continue play...lol. Seriously though, there are cocodrilos so it's just not worth it. If by security you mean armed guards with German Shepherds on the back nine, then no there is not. Nor is there any need for that. Your husband and his friends might be the only golfers on the course (depending on their tee time) but that doesn't mean that the course doesn't have people on it. There will be a dozen or so groundskeepers at any given time,(visible or not) and the track will be immaculate. He will be treated like gold and probably have the best game of his life (whether his score reflects that or not). The worst that can happen to your husband is it will spoil him for any future course he plays over the summer. And the worst that can happen to you is that he's not going to stop talking about it! The pace of play will be phenomenal (we try and book the earliest tee times and are back to the resort by 11 am at the latest with the whole day ahead of us...come on, 18 holes in 3.5 hours is unheard of in Canada or the United States.) The flora and fauna is stunning, the vistas are beautiful, no yahoos will be hitting up on them and the fairways and greens will be perfectly groomed (can't speak for the rough as I never land there..ha ha .just kidding). My husband and I have been travelling to Mexico twice a year for the past 10 years over the winter months just to golf (mostly in the Puerto Vallarta area but in the last 2 years "switched sides" to the Caribbean) We've played many many courses, never had a bad experience and take it from this middle age + woman, have never felt "unsafe". Would I turn down an invitation to the National Golf Links in Southampton because they haven't apprehended the Gilgo Killer yet? Nope not a chance! Nor would any sane person (although golfers are probably on the lower end of the sanity bell curve). Would I be safe taking the Long Island Railroad out there..I don't know...you tell me. So I do understand your apprehension because I understand how a person's idea of a particular locale can get skewed by media reports. If you haven't already, look up Playa Mujeres Golf Course on TA and see what others say about it. You just got slammed with a winter storm on the weekend (as did we) and now you are off to a happy place. What could possibly be better than that?. You have nothing to fear. Get into vacation mode, stop worrying, relax and enjoy, you deserve it. You'll both have a wonderful time.

Cheers,

Maggie

5. Re: Golfing...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 15, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Playa Mujeres