We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sea grass NEXT to EPM

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
736 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
sea grass NEXT to EPM

Here is a video of the sea grass at the beach just past EPM. The beach here had mountains of it...The beach at EPM had a fair share even with the tractor running every so often throughout the day.

Youtube compressed the daylights out of this video, so it is tough to see...but in the water (brown) there is about 10 more yards of the sea grass. This was true for right in front of EPM that day as well. 2 days later the water was clear and there was no grass, but the very next day there was probably 3 yards worth again...It was very unpredictable...

www.youtube.com/watch…

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
397 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sea grass NEXT to EPM

It's nature but the resort goes to great effort to clear it away each and every day.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
85 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sea grass NEXT to EPM

That looks awful thick...I don't mind a bit of seagrass and never hold the hotel responsible, as it is nature and unavoidable. That being said, that looks like quite a bit and would put a damper on my wanting to enter the ocean for a swim...don't care to walk across 10 yards of seagrass.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
736 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sea grass NEXT to EPM

Yeah, certainly no fault of the hotel, but anyone booking here should be aware that it is a significant possibility. I always thought I wouldn't mind the sea grass until I saw it. Ultimately I decided not to wade through it because I had no idea what could possibly have washed up with it. My fear was that there could be jelly fish in there and I wasn't about to find out the hard way if there were any or not....

There was 1 day it was clear, and again i don't blame the resort, but had the pools not be amazing, and had I been a die hard ocean fan, I would have hated this trip. However, since the pools were amazing, and since it wasn't hard to get to isla to swim in the beautiful blue water, this ended up not being a huge deal to us!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: sea grass NEXT to EPM

Yuck! Thanks for sharing the video. I've read a lot about this situation at the resort and wondered just how bad it could be. As long as it wasn't like that for the entire week I think I could deal...

Level Contributor
403 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sea grass NEXT to EPM

Thanks for the video. I'm one who really wouldn't care to swim in the ocean but rather possibly wade in it. I am a true pool person so seeing how they are bountiful at EPM cold/warm or anywhere in between I'm good:)

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,602 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sea grass NEXT to EPM

Edited - original post removed.

Sorry - I muddled up EPM with ERC so my comments were irrelevant!

However, you may wish to note that seagrass is an issue at EPM as well.

Edited: 5:02 pm, January 30, 2013
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,264 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sea grass NEXT to EPM

Seagrass does not just effect EPM when it is about

Grand Junction...
Level Contributor
2,299 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sea grass NEXT to EPM

There was a lot of seagrass at that time (my visit overlapped jwritche's), but the shocking thing to watch was the tractor PUSHING the grass back into the water at the North end of the resort by the volleyball nets. Yes, PUSHING the seagrass back in.

The day before we left was the only day that the water was clear, and it was beautiful. We snorkeled out to some of the live seagrass in the water and saw tons of fish.

Illinois
Level Contributor
472 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sea grass NEXT to EPM

Thank you for the video! Based on my research about sea grass in the Yucatan (amazing what you can learn via the Internet!), there is no way to know what we'll see on EPM's beach during our trip in Feb. It depends on the winds, the type of sea grass, the temperature, etc. I warned my husband about it because he loved the beach at SMB and he says he's sure we'll have a great time no matter what. So, no worries!

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sea grass NEXT to EPM

As stated the in the original post and on the Video as well, this was not in front of EPM. I can guarantee that the workers at EPM would not let it get that bad. This is away from the resort where noone is cleaning the beach and it has accumulated.

Edited: 7:24 pm, January 30, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Playa Mujeres