We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

iPhone usage

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Level Contributor
417 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
iPhone usage

I have researched the past posts and have seen everything from not using the phone,(not an option), people buying extra plans, just having made sure the data roaming is off. using airplane mode, (I need more than just imessaging to go through because some people I need to keep in touch with don't have iPhones. (Can you even imagine) ha! Or using apps as long as everyone you need to connect with has the same app.

Seems like the data roaming being off and connecting to Wifi is the best option for me just want to make sure that it does work and I wont have an outrageous bill when I get home has anyone else figured out what works? Thanks in advance. I'm so excited it's coming quick!!!

Canada
Level Contributor
767 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: iPhone usage

Yip. I used my iPhone whole time with data off on wifi in my room, on the beach, around pool etc. texted people that had iPhone and the ones that didn't on hey tell.

Level Contributor
417 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: iPhone usage

Awesome thanks!!! Data roaming off it is!

Calgary, Canada
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: iPhone usage

Yes. Everything off. I even went as far as taking out my SIM card. Kept it all wifi. We email our friends on the resort that don't have iPhone. But if they have a smartphone. Maybe do Skype to Skype for free. I signed up and they offered me free calling over wifi anywhere. Then I paid $13 for a US Skype number because they don't have Canadian numbers so I call call anyone unlimited over wifi. Plus receive calls in case of emergency from back home.

Charlotte,NC
Level Contributor
697 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: iPhone usage

Just be sure your service allows international calls. You may want to contact your provider to make sure this feature is allowed.

New York
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: iPhone usage

Does the wifi cover the entire resort or only at selected places?

Midwest, USA
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: iPhone usage

When we were there in early January, the wi-fi was pretty good in the lobby and at the pool. I couldn't get a signal at the beach.

The room was frustrating. Sometimes the wi-fi was fine, and sometimes it was so slow I couldn't use it. This was true in both our rooms, buildings 5 and 7. I did call the concierge to report this, but didn't notice any improvement.

Canada
Level Contributor
767 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: iPhone usage

We were in building 6 and had no probs at all with wifi and I did her it on beach as well. I skype sister and showed her the beach.

New York
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: iPhone usage

same here...I turned my data off on my iphone and just used the resorts wifi. It worked fine to facetime with the kids at home

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,614 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: iPhone usage

I dont know if you will find this helpful or not, but before we went on our last Mexico trip, we downloaded the app called "whatsapp." We also had our parents download it too since they were taking care of our kids. We would text back and forth and send pictures for free. We needed wifi. But it was extremely convenient and we were able to check in multiple times a day on our kids which was great since it was our first time away from them and I was a bit nervous.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
162 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: iPhone usage

Another "App" that we have been using for the last two years is called "Voxer". Allows for photos, texting and even walkie-talkie conversations.

You can structure to message or talk to an individual or create a group and communicate with everyone at the same time.

The App is free.