We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is four nights enough

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Louisiana
Level Contributor
72 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Is four nights enough

Beyond the obvious that spending more time on vacation is always better than less, are we being unrealistic in thinking that we can enjoy our stay in four nights. Basically, we want a relaxing vacation which is why we chose Mexico over Europe. Didn't want to be on the go as much. However, I am much more of a beach bum than my husband. He would like to play one round of golf, see at least one of the Mayan structures and visit the island. Is it possible to do all of this while not feeling rushed? Are each of these adventures a whole day sort of thing?

Boston
Level Contributor
3,285 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is four nights enough

I would not do three of those things on a four night trip. Then again, I wouldn't want to do any excursions or even leave a place like EPM unless I were there 7 or more nights. It's too nice of a place to always be on the go, IMO, and you would not be getting your money's worth and full enjoyment of the place. Let him play his golf and you can be a beach bum for that day. The island is close so that is very doable too.

Youngsville, NC
Level Contributor
113 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is four nights enough

The travel days eat up a couple so you will really be rushed for time - we almost feel like 7 isn't enough - used to do 10 nights and then felt like 8 was perfect since depending on your flights you arrive later and have to leave early. I would do at least 5, 6 or 7 - good luck!

St Louis MO
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is four nights enough

I agree with ERM.

If this is the stuff you really wanna do i would reccomend staying in Playa Del Carmen at one of the small hotels that are just a no frills room. You can get these for 100 bucks a night.

Merrimack NH
Level Contributor
504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Is four nights enough

I agree with Kaliman on this one. If you are going for only 4 nights and plan on being away from the resort as much as you say I wouldn't stay at EPM. We were there for 7 days and never left the resort - heck we barely left the pool much either. It's an awesome place to be.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,671 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is four nights enough

Well I hope not as we are going for 14

All joking apart if you are goining to go to a place like EPM and spend a lot of time off resort it is a fairly expense bed you are renting to sleep in

Fredericksburg...
Level Contributor
173 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is four nights enough

We spent four nights on our trip and here is what I would do: I would skip the Mayan ruins, but do the golf and Isla Mujeres. Depending on which ruins you go to, that could easily burn an entire day. The golf is literally down the street, and the Island is close-by and easily accessible as well.

To me, the amount of relaxing on vacation taking place is inversely proportional to the amount of time spent on the road.

NJ
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Is four nights enough

We were there for 6 nights, 5 full days. It was just enough. Longer of course would have been better. We did take the ferry over to isla mujeres one day that was a bit cloudy. Would I do it again....no, but we did get the children some really cute toys. It felt really good to get back to the resort. We didn't even get to the spa....we were so relaxed, we felt we didn't need it. We stayed by the pool until 6pm every day!!!!!! Oh, what a life!

Get up nice and early, breakfast at barcelona opens at 7am. If your husband gets an early tee time, you could be back at the beach by 12. Also, visit the island early. There isn't that much to see....we only spent a couple of hours there. It was plenty.

This board helped a ton. Keep reading and posting questions and concerns. It will help you ease into the resort. We were able to start relaxing so quickly because we knew about the rooms, pool area, restaurants, etc. We didn't waste a minute of our vacation.

oakville, ON
Destination Expert
for Oakville
Level Contributor
5,014 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is four nights enough

and there are some small ruins on Isla...

But, is 4 nights enough?? not even if you never moved off your beach bed... :)

Fishers, IN
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Is four nights enough

We were there 6 days (1 1/2 weeks ago) and had already booked an all day excursion with our package. We went to Isla Mujeres to go snorkling, etc. We enjoyed the snorkling part but as soon as it was over we were dying to get back to the resort to be with our new life long friends that we had met. We realized how much we were enjoying just sitting by the pool and relaxing that it took too much energy to do the day trip. We missed Maria, our awesome pool waitress!!!!! When planning to go back we wouldn't do any excursions b/c we loved the resort and our new company so much.

Enjoy your trip!!

Amy

Louisiana
Level Contributor
72 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is four nights enough

Thanks for all the advice. I think we are going to do a half day on the island and hubby will play golf one morning. Looking forward to some wonderful relaxation!!