We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Americans traveling to Cuba can it be possible

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
St Louis MO
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Americans traveling to Cuba can it be possible

Just heard over the radio something to the effect that Obama is working on something to relax the embargo.

I this true?

This is the first i have heard of this.

I would love to travel to Cuba as an American i never thought it would be possible.

St Louis MO
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Americans traveling to Cuba can it be possible

Ok looks like i jumped the gun. He is letting Telicom companies apply for licences to supply phone and tv to Cuba and will relax travel to Cuban by Cubans/Americans and allowing them to send more money back to Cuba.

But its a step in the right direction. Maybe one day! :)

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Americans traveling to Cuba can it be possible

I would love to visit Cuba one day and look forward to the embargo on travel for US citizens to be lifted.

It is quite easily done now via Jamaica or Cancun though still illegal. My cousin goes several times a year and has been for about ten years now without incident.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,629 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Americans traveling to Cuba can it be possible

Kali

This got coverage here in the UK about 7-10 days ago

St Louis MO
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Americans traveling to Cuba can it be possible

Really?

Guess i havent paid much attention.

oakville, ON
Destination Expert
for Oakville
Level Contributor
4,961 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Americans traveling to Cuba can it be possible

I have been to Cuba and loved it... beautiful country and warm, kind people... food was terrible, but that's because they cannot import, so they serve what they grow/raise/catch. I guess if the embargo is ever lifted, this will no longer be an issue, either.

Cancun
Level Contributor
562 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Americans traveling to Cuba can it be possible

As an american you are not supposed to go to Cuba, but you can fly from USA to Cancun, Cancun Cuba, Cuba Cancun, Cancun USA and you would be ok. Cuba doesn't stamp your passport, and the cuban airlines don't share their info.

I know over 10 americans that have gone this way in the last 2 years. There is the urban legend that people have gone this way, and USA has somehow found out and fined them. However I have not met anyone who this has happened, it has always happened to a friend of a friend.

I personally have never gone. I hear it is a beautiful country, but they have odd laws there. I am waiting until communism is gone before I spend my money over there

Manny

CancunWithMe

oakville, ON
Destination Expert
for Oakville
Level Contributor
4,961 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Americans traveling to Cuba can it be possible

It is actually one of the safest Islands to travel to. astro knows that tourists keep his country alive and punishment is swift and heavy for anyone messing with tourists.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Americans traveling to Cuba can it be possible

We must also take into account that this "press release" was issued by a POLITICIAN.... may be a LOOOONG time IF EVER that any of it comes to pass.

9. Re: Americans traveling to Cuba can it be possible

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 pm, October 19, 2009