We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Playa Mujeres Safe?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Is Playa Mujeres Safe?

The Department of State has issued a travel alert for U.S. citizens traveling to Mexico. The Department said that the greatest increase in violence has occurred near the U.S. border, but we are concerned it has or will spread to resort areas. Should we be concerned about violence or crime at Playa Mujeres? Has anyone been involved in any dangerous situation while on vacation at Playa Mujeres? Did you feel safe in the hotel? What about the trip from the airport to the hotel? Did anyone travel outside of the hotel?

Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
2,164 posts
81 reviews
1. Re: Is Playa Mujeres Safe?

We stayed at EPM in July and November and each time went off the resort by taxi or rented a car on our own. Drove through the City of Cancun and up and down the hotel strip there. Never felt concerned about our safety there at all. Okay, maybe a few times behind the wheel but that was it, there were a few serious pot holes in the roads.

Locals were friendly and helpful with directions.

If you are talking about Excellence Playa Mujeres, the resort has 3 security gates to pass through to get to the main building and lobby area.

The local tourist industry relies on a safe profile in the region. You can rest easy.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
62,791 posts
78 reviews
2. Re: Is Playa Mujeres Safe?

I have no fears whatsoever about going back in May

There are many parts of the UK that I would be more worried about travelling through than Cancun and I am sure the same applies to the states as well

What does not help is as Kali has eluded to in your duplicate thread is people adding post after post with the same question - the Cancun Forum is littered with threads all on this same topic

No offence intended at you personally

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Is Playa Mujeres Safe?

Thanks. I am more interested in the security and safety of the Excellence Playa Mujeres resort itself. We do not plan on going to to strip in Cancun, which is why I didn't go on the Cancun thread. I just want to know about the resort specifically.

St Louis MO
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Is Playa Mujeres Safe?

Not real sure why you would think a multi million dollar resort wouldnt be safe?

If it were not safe i doubt anyone would be staying there. Not sure what you think may happen at a resort but i would say the samething would happen at this resort as others.

I am sure there is a possiblity of a theft so make sure you put your valuable away in the safe and or in your luggage that has TSA locks for less expensive things.

I havent been here but its pretty far out from everything so you arent in the middle of a ghetto or something from reading.

You can travel outside the resort without worry just be smart just as you would if you were in your own home town. Dont go off the beaten path as long as you arent looking for drugs you should be fine as far as the warnings go. Theft is always a possiblity so just use your head dont get all liqoured up and go wandering around and be aware of your surroundings and all should be fine.

Most of the questions you asked again would have been addressed in the Cancun forum.

Either way goodluck

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
62,791 posts
78 reviews
5. Re: Is Playa Mujeres Safe?

The resort itself is pretty remote which is a big attraction to us and it has loads of land around it. It is as others have said a gated community which is well protected

Do not worry

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,352 posts
73 reviews
6. Re: Is Playa Mujeres Safe?

yes, when not in their mansions in Mexico City, or driving their Hummers along the Guate border, the members of the drug cartels specifically choose Playa Mujeres for family vacations!

Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
2,164 posts
81 reviews
7. Re: Is Playa Mujeres Safe?

Jacob EPM has security walking the perimeter of the resort 24 hours a day. They seem to have a route they follow that includes all floors of each building and along the waterfront.

They are low profile personnel wearing pithe helmets (sp?) and smart khaki style uniforms. They have radio/phones on them and are there to ensure the safety of the guests.

They serve another function in that they ensure the would odd inebriated guest makes it safely to their room or does not disturb others.

Most of these resorts pride themselves on keeping their guests all safe.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Is Playa Mujeres Safe?

wow. that was helpful.

Scotland
Level Contributor
326 posts
9. Re: Is Playa Mujeres Safe?

Hi Jacobthecat,

You can be assured of your safety if the FFM says it will be safe. He usually is correct in anything he gives his advice on. He is highly respected within the TA community and by me.

Feel safe have a great time.

Let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

Lynda

Fredericksburg...
Level Contributor
173 posts
10 reviews
10. Re: Is Playa Mujeres Safe?

There needs to be a sticky on this topic.