We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Dunamar

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Toronto
Level Contributor
245 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Riu Dunamar

I have seen very little on this board about the new Riu Dunamar that is supposed to be opening in Dec 2017...do new Riu resorts tend to open as scheduled. Looks like they have some large family type rooms that would be good choices.

We looked at returning to FPM but got expensive so ended up booking Royalton Riviera for a Dec family trip. Hate to stray from the Excellence brand but we are. Looked at this new Riu but couldn't take this risk should it not open in time

6 replies to this topic
Connecticut
Level Contributor
99 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Dunamar

I might be looking to go in April and hope more chatter begins to happen about this resort. Would like to see a picture of the family suite but they don't have it posted on their website yet. Also wondering if we should expect the beach to be as nice as those resorts farther south along Playa mujeres

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
25,566 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Dunamar

This is Mexico and, as such, I'm always leery of relying on projected opening/completion dates. It's not unusual for one section of a new resort to be open while construction is completed on another section. New resorts often have "teething" problems until staffing and training levels are at 100%. Depending upon when in December you're planning on travelling, vacancy rates at other Rius in the area may be close to 100%, which will put more pressure on the resort to open on time, even if it's not really ready for guests.

Now, on the bright side, if you're willing to take the chance on a new resort, you may be able to score a great deal during those early weeks/months. If a resort proves to be very popular and garner excellent reviews from the get-go, you can expect to see rates soar (case in point: Secrets Akumal).

So, if you decide to toss the dice and give the new Riu a try, I'd politely suggest you set your expectations accordingly. You may also wish to note that even if the new Riu is stellar from the get go, Rius as a brand are a step or two down from Excellence.

Edited: 11:08 am, August 10, 2017
Linn Creek, Missouri
Level Contributor
2 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Dunamar

Riu Dunamar opened on time. They opened the ala carte restaurants one at a time. There is a water park adjacent to the property for hotel guests. Elevators have been an issue but will be fully operational soon. I have seen very few negatives about the resort other than the remote location. This is probably a 4-star property, not a 5-star. There are a couple good forums on Facebook that have daily updates and commentary.

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
497 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Dunamar

There is a good thread on this property on page 4 . Person there now has been giving live up dates

3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Dunamar

What type of beer is available?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
58 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Dunamar

wet and cold

Reply to: Riu Dunamar