We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
167 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling

Will be travelling to Phuket and staying at JW Marriot. Would love to see some of Similan Islands and do some snorkeling. Don't want to be with a huge crowd. Any suggestions?

Phuket Tours Transfers
Boat Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Day Trips, City Tours
Saphan Sarasin Bridge
Bridges, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Phuket Thailand
Level Contributor
3,452 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling

Hi Scooter. What time of year are you coming? Makes a big diffrence. The Similans are closed in the wet season, May to October.

Similans have great snorkeling, but it is a very long way to travel. There is also good snorkeling at Phi Phi and Racha Islands, and these are a lot closer. Some tour companies are better than others at avoiding the crowds. Maybe have a look at 'things to do' up the top, then go to 'activities' for some reviews on these places and people to take you there.

Have a great holiday,

Mark.

Phket Sail Tours.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,734 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling

"There is also good snorkeling at Phi Phi and Racha Islands, and these are a lot closer."

The OP is staying in Mai Khao, so Similans are easier to reach than Phi Phi (at least with most operators).

So yes, if I were the OP I would go to Similans from there.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling

Apparently they are open mid way through May this year? I believe Arandora had this info?

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,734 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling

Correct, open till 15 May. Take into account though that normally from beginning of May onwards, sometimes even end of April, it can get choppy. personally I would not mind going there in a big boat, but a speedboat I would not do.

Edited: 12:43 am, January 15, 2014
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
43,224 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling

Koh Tachai which is part pf and comes under the Similans National Park Authority is a good alternative. It is more regulated than the Similans with only a handful of boats there each day. Love Andaman Tours deliberately (or they did) under occupy their speedboats to give more rom and more personal attention. Tachai is often referred to as "the Maldives of Thailand" because of its blinding white powdery beach (from which you can snorkel) its crystal clear sea and the presence of fruit bats in the trees. See report and pics at tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

Departures are from the same pier at Tab Lamu which is less than an hour from Mai Kao and speedboat trip is about the same as the Similans. It too is open to 15th May but is subject to ocean conditions as referred to by Stevenl.

6. Re: Snorkeling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 17, 2015