We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which JW Marriott is best for us?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
139 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Which JW Marriott is best for us?

My husband and I are planning a Phuket vacation in February and are deciding between the two Marriott properties in the area: 1) Phuket Resort & Spa Mai Khao or 2) Khao Lak Resort & Spa

We don't really know much about the area but want to return to Thailand after a short visit 3 years ago. What are the pros and cons of each location and hotel? We will be using hotel points for our stay. It's hard to tell from the reviews and the hotel listings what the differences of these hotels are - any help or perspective would be appreciated!

It will just be the two of us - we would be interested in relaxing, massage, potentially snorkeling, Thai cooking/food, elephants, visiting a city/village, bikeriding,, the beach, island trips.

Thanks in advance - Erin

Phuket Tours Transfers
Boat Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Day Trips, City Tours
Saphan Sarasin Bridge
Bridges, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Southport, Australia
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which JW Marriott is best for us?

Well my story is I have stayed the at Mai khao one a couple of times and thought it was oh so wonderful, so thought I would book again, however I had booked Khao Lak by mistake, I could not believe it when trying to check in, and they said I was at the wrong hotel??? I then had to book a transfer which is quite away away! Both hotels are very nice but my preference is Mai Khao.

Michigan
Level Contributor
15 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which JW Marriott is best for us?

it's always tough to recommend for someone else since we all have different tastes. But I will share my own view as my wife and I have been regular visitors to Phuket...

since we have a time share at the Marriott in Mai Khao, we always spend at least 1 week at that location. amazing facilities with 3 swimming pools and 6+ restaurants. we have spent some nights in the hotel portion as well and the rooms were great. (if you can get a villa with your points (sometimes you can) , consider doing that because the full size fridge and washer/dryer are a nice touch. and the massive bathroom with huge tub and separate shower enclosure is a big plus. the gym facility also rents or loans (?) bicycles. this place will tick the box very well for bikeriding, massage and thai cooking (Ginja Taste at Marriott or KinDee offsite nearby).

for snorkeling and islands, we highly recommend a trip to Phi Phi islands. you can combine this with snorkeling.

we did visit the JW in Khao Lak not too long after it opened. it has an amazing pool system and lots of rooms which have pool/lazy river entry from your patio. khao lak is an extra hour+ from the Phuket airport. the highlight for Khao Lak would be a day trip to the Similan Islands.

if it were me, it would be the JW Mai Khao. and it will be in 19 days!

whatever you choose, don't look back and you'll have a great trip. and say hi to my daughter in Portland. (she did a study abroad in Chiang Mai and is itching to return to Thailand if you need a translator!)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
139 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which JW Marriott is best for us?

Thank you for your reply! I am actually a fellow Michigander living in Portland! That's great that your daughter studied abroad there. Thank you for your recommendations and detailed info. Have a great trip in 19 days!

4. Re: Which JW Marriott is best for us?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, November 11, 2014