We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Permit & finding Porter for Gaumukh - Tapovan trek

Mumbai
Level Contributor
128 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Permit & finding Porter for Gaumukh – Tapovan trek

Hi All,

My wife & I have planned a trip to Dharali-Gangotri-Gaumukh-Tapovan in the end of May. I have couple of queries.

Since we need permit for the porter, do I need to find someone at Uttarkashi only? How & where do I find a proter? Does anyone know of anyone? I will reach Uttarkashi at around 1:00 pm on a Friday. Since the DFO office remains open only till 4pm, Can I find a porter and then get the permit before 4pm? Or should I better stay at Uttarkashi and then proceed further on the next day?

Thanks a ton!

66 replies to this topic
Kolkata (Calcutta...
2 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Permit & finding Porter for Gaumukh – Tapovan trek

thanks for u r information

kanpur
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Permit & finding Porter for Gaumukh – Tapovan trek

take the porter from gangotri onwards.

Cost around Rs. 1000- 1200. Its better if you can share the porter cum guide with another group to share the cost.

Riga, Latvia
1 post
Save Reply
13. Re: Permit & finding Porter for Gaumukh – Tapovan trek

Dear friends I have a few questions. 1) My kids are 9 and 12. Is there an age limit from which one can get permit to Gaumukh? 2) Is there a way to get permit in Delhi? 3) What will be the whether at the end of July, especially at night? 4) can one still use horses for kids and elders after 2012? 5) is it better to stay in tents or in ashram on the way to Gaumukh? THANK YOU so much in advance :)

Mumbai
Level Contributor
128 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Permit & finding Porter for Gaumukh – Tapovan trek

Hi Chandravali,

1. Yes,your kids will get permit.

2. No, Permits are only available at Uttarkashi & Gangotri. If you don't want to waste a day in Uttarkashi, you can get it in Gangotri. You'll need a day in hand.

3. Till Gangotri there can be light or medium shower. If you are lucky, you won't get any rain. But best is to avoid July, if you can. Beyond Gangotri, there is lesser chance of heavy rain.

4. Yes, you can use mule from Gangotri.

5. If you are going only till Gaumukh, better to stay at GMVN guest house or in Ashrams. All have very basic dormitory facilities. You can book the GMVN Guest house online.

Wish you a safe trip in advance!

Mumbai (Bombay...
9 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Permit & finding Porter for Gaumukh – Tapovan trek

Hello All,

we are going 4person on oct 11-2014 saturday evening at uttarkashi . then will do permit on monday and will move to gangotri on monday after permit and will start trek on tuesday. Plz suggest me for staying sat night and sunday at uttarkashi at resonable rate (i can book in Advance) and guide and portar. good and cooperative guide is always helpful for any trek.

Plz share any estimate rate for guide perday basis...

Priyo

Mumbai

New Delhi, India
1 post
Save Reply
16. Re: Permit & finding Porter for Gaumukh – Tapovan trek

Hi,

I am planning to trek to Gaumukh and I will start my journey from delhi on 02 nd may, please guide me how to get the trek permit and if any number for the concerned person, waiting for an insatant reply...

Thanks,

Kumar saurv-886081785, kmrsrv05@gmail.com

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
35,610 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Permit & finding Porter for Gaumukh – Tapovan trek

Kmrsrv05

May contact him on Char Machan Tourism Pvt. Ltd. Mr.Gagan Bisht / 9761213048 or 9555223829. gagan@charmachan.com

Edited: 2:31 am, April 26, 2014
Mumbai
Level Contributor
128 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Permit & finding Porter for Gaumukh – Tapovan trek

Trek permits are issued at DFO, Uttarkashi. They also issue permits at Gangotri but limited number.

If you manage to reach Uttarkashi by 3:00pm, proceed to DFO office for the permit. Carry a photo identity with address and a photograph. Won't take more than 30 mins.

If you are alone or travelling with one partner, you can try your luck at Gangotri as well, shouldn't be an issue.

You do not need any guide if you are going till Gaumukh and if you are physically fit. Path is well defined, just exercise caution. You can leave your luggage at Gangotri (hotels normally have storage facility with minimal charges) so that you can travel light.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Lonavala, Binsar, Dalhousie, Gir National Park, Shirdi, Uttarakhand
Level Contributor
7,919 posts
504 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Permit & finding Porter for Gaumukh – Tapovan trek

hi

fully agree with arunangshu...they issue permits for gaumukh at gangotri too but better to grab it in uttarkashi

Navi Mumbai, India
7 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Permit & finding Porter for Gaumukh – Tapovan trek

can any abody help me out about a brief idea about gomukh trek, as bcz we r going 1st time in this route.

Regards.

Joy

Reply to: Permit & finding Porter for Gaumukh – Tapovan trek
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted