We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Maya to Bantayan and then to Malapascua + back to Maya

Which Bantayan Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Braga, Portugal
Level Contributor
78 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
From Maya to Bantayan and then to Malapascua + back to Maya

Hi

I'm arriving on Cebu on the 20th August and already arranged a reliable taxi to make the trip to Maya or Hagnaya and back.

Now, I need to get from Hagnaya to Santa Fe (Bantayan) and then from there to Malapascua (on the 25th) and then back from Malapascua to Maya (on the 29th).

What best way of doing it and prices?

So:

20th August - Hagnaya to Santa Fe

25th August - Santa Fé to Malapascua

29th August - Malapascua to Maya

What reasonable prices?

Thanks

1. Re: From Maya to Bantayan and then to Malapascua + back to Maya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:58 pm, August 21, 2014
Braga, Portugal
Level Contributor
78 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Maya to Bantayan and then to Malapascua + back to Maya

Thanks for the reply.

One of the sites you mentioned I already found but, probably because I am overworking and, at the same time, organizing this trip since wednesday (at the same time that I am organizing a greece 2 weeks trip for my parents) I am getting a bit confused with it all.

Let me break it:

1. I know going by taxi instead of bus is more expensive, but since this is a special trip, we are willing to pay to get faster to the resort, so let's assume I have the land transportation cover.

2. We do not make a point in getting water transport private: I just thought - from what I read - that it would be more quick and timely. However, the diference in price is really big (specially because we are going to make between 3 or 4 water trips). So, first of all, do you think it is worth it? How much time saving would be?

3. My resort said I could do the Bantayan-Malapascua direct, taking around 3 hours, if the sea is nice, but the price would be something between 3.000 to 5.000 php. Again, is it worth it, in your opinion? Or the time I save it's not worth it and you think I should do Bantayan-Hagnaya then grab a cab or something to go Maya, and from there take the ferry to Malapascua?

4. Since, on the first day, I will arrive Cebu at 12:15, would you still advise taking the ferry to Bantayan (after the taxi ride) or, instead, because of the hours, think it's better to arrange a private for this?

Hope I made my doubts clear and thanks for any help

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,087 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Maya to Bantayan and then to Malapascua + back to Maya

Bekita,

I am also a value for money person and don't mind mixing things up a bit for the sport of it. But if under time pressure and for convenience, I would pay more and get personal transport esp if I have the cash for it. Time is expensive. Money you can always get again anyways. So go for what works for you esp in the Malapascua-Bantayan route. Saves you a whole lot of TIme.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
8,991 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Maya to Bantayan and then to Malapascua + back to Maya

There is no need to get private transport from Haganaya to Sta Fe. The regular boat departs about every hour. Surely that is soon enough.

The only taxis in the province of Cebu are in Metro Cebu. Meaning Cebu City and surrounding area. If you want a taxi waiting for you in Hagnaya to take you to Maya, you need to pre arrange it.

The actual cost of the bangka boat (outrigger) from Bantayan to Malapascua will be up to your negotiation skills. I would think a more realistic figure is P2500, if you don't get the resort to arrange it for you.

From Malapascua to Maya, again, the boat is departing about every hour during the day. It only costs about P80 per person. However, there is an extra fee, payable directly to the boatman, if you have to use a small dinghy at low tide. In case you are not aware, at low tide, the big bangka boats can't get into the beach so the passengers are transferred to a smaller dinghy.

Here is an example of a low tide transfer leaving Malapascua, going to Maya last September

https://www.youtube.com/watch…

If you are seeking a taxi to be waiting for you at Hagnaya or Maya, you could use the recommended Tripidvisor driver, Danny Noy

tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g294245-c188959/Ph…

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,846 posts
1,983 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Maya to Bantayan and then to Malapascua + back to Maya

A few years ago, I hired a sole use banka (boat) with crew from Sta. Fe, Bantayan Island to Malapascua Island for less than P2000.

The price will have risen, but the same rule applies: start as early as possible - an 0600 to 0700 departure is ideal.

In beautiful sunny weather, the trip took two and a quarter hours one way in calm seas. Check the weather forecast before you set out. Take a towel or anything else that doubles as a cushion to sit on, and preferably a large hat. Apply plenty of sunscreen to counter the tropical sun.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Maya to Bantayan and then to Malapascua + back to Maya

August is the wet season so better have a Plan B in case the weather turns bad!

Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Maya to Bantayan and then to Malapascua + back to Maya

Hello, though I haven't read all the comments I have only a few days ago completed the journey from bantayan island to malapascua island...

From Santa Fe we caught the boat for P170 + terminal fees to hagnaya, (frequent timings)

From hagnaya we got a shared trike (tuk tuk) to don pedro for P25 per person, or P150 for private trike.

At don pedro which is basically a three road junction we asked a local where to catch the bus, he pointed to outside the chapel where the big yellow Ceres buses pass every hour or so, luckily we only waited for 5minutes and the ride to maya took about 1 hour and cost P37 per person.

At maya we boarded a small vessel for P20 per person + P20 per bag to the boat that goes to malapascua (small vessel transfer due to low tide), then P80 for the boat across then another small vessel transfer to the shore at the same rate.

I know this is long overdue but may help future backpackers

Edited: 1:48 am, May 17, 2015
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
204 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Maya to Bantayan and then to Malapascua + back to Maya

Thank you! Would you recommend both?

Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From Maya to Bantayan and then to Malapascua + back to Maya

It really depends what your interests are as I visited them both to keep traveling days to a minimum bantayan was very peaceful with beautiful beaches. You can be the only person on the beach. There are restaurants and bars but certainly not too touristy so if you want away from all the hassle is recommend a few days there.

I am still in malapascua now and it really is all about the diving. I don't dive so I have just relaxed on the beach. There are islands nearby to visit if you have the money. Malapascua is still very much a developing island with no roads as such and a rural feel to it but like bantayan, a beautiful place to unwind.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: From Maya to Bantayan and then to Malapascua + back to Maya

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for the info.

It is very good info and an alternative to taking a boat direct from Bantayan to Malapascua.