We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private speedboat charter -

Central Scotland
Level Contributor
82 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Private speedboat charter -

Looking to charter a speedboat when we're in Phuket next month.

The plan was to get to May Bay before it gets busy, and then visit surrounding areas etc.

There will only be three of us. My wife, our 18 month old son and myself.

We're thinking about the private charter as it's more personalized to our own itinerary.

We've been quoted between 26500 - 28000 THB. Is this a reasonable price?

Has anyone used Coral Seekers or Easy Day Thailand?

Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Phuket Thailand
Level Contributor
3,590 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private speedboat charter -

Hello PoJay.

It starts to get busy at Maya Bay at 9.30am, and you need to allow an hour for the journey by speed boat. I suggest you be on the water by 8am at the latest. Preferably sooner if Maya Bay is your main reason for going to Phi Phi.

There is a big variation in prices and what you get for your money. These are things I think you should be aware of:

You need at least a 2 engine speed boat for the trip from Phuket to Phi Phi. Don't settle for 1 engine, not big enough not reliable enough, you are 50km out to sea.

Check the reputation of the company, low price may equate to low safety, remember that safety standards bear no resemblance to anything in a Western country. 'Things to do' and 'activities' may help you with this.

Check what you get for the money, ie; transfers, snorkeling equipment, national park fees, drinks aboard, lunch, snacks, English speaking guide to help you with your program (not a good idea to rely on a captain who may not speak English), insurance, TAT license, life jackets.

Coral Seekers is a boat tour company and have there own boats, Not sure about Easy Day Thailand, if they are an agent you need to find who the boat operator is.

When you first board, ask for your life jackets. Then you know you have them. Probably pay to bring a flotation vest for the little guy in case they don't have small life jacket.

If the boat doesn't look good, it probably isn't. Rely on your own judgement to some degree, assume nothing.

Let me know if you want any advice on your proposed itinerary. If it includes Kho Kai Nok or Maya Bay after 10am, burn it.

Have a great day,

Mark.

Phuket Sail Tours.

Edited: 10:56 am, October 09, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Maya Bay
Maya Bay
8,210 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
Phi Phi Hotel
Phi Phi Hotel
942 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Easy Day Thailand
Easy Day Thailand
358 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Phuket Sail Tours
Phuket Sail Tours
3,327 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
836 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Private speedboat charter -

Captainm gave really good advise below for you....

Easy days do not have their own speedboat, they are an agent.

Captainm on the other hand is a is a boat owner/operator and he has speedboats and good reputation and knowledge of years in the area.

Another speedboat owner is Giles at Offspray, also an active TA member and Simba - all 3 of them have great reviews for their quality excursions at TA.

Click on the green 'Things to do' button at the top of this page and then on the 'Activities' button, you will find all of them there " Phuket sail tours - Captainm, Offspay- Giles and Simba.

Have great day out there!

Mentioned in this post
Phuket Sail Tours
Phuket Sail Tours
3,327 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Central Scotland
Level Contributor
82 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private speedboat charter -

Thanks for the replies.

Would I be able to charter a speedboat when I arrive in Phuket without pre-booking it online?

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
889 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Private speedboat charter -

Price of 26500 - 28000 THB seems to be reasonable,.

Here is review link of TA for both operators

tripadvisor.in/Attraction_Review-g297931-d25…

tripadvisor.in/Attraction_Review-g1215781-d1…

Regards team mypackagetrip

5. Re: Private speedboat charter -

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 17, 2014