We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bucket list vaca w/ hubby is now a Solo trip due to divorce

Which Phuket Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calabasas...
Level Contributor
301 posts
Save Topic
Bucket list vaca w/ hubby is now a Solo trip due to divorce

Hi all...

I have been planning a 2 week trip to Phuket and Phi Phi Island for me and my husband for the last 2 years. Enter divorce....I still want to go....But things have changed...I no longer have the Hilton points...Where can a single 50+ lady stay that is safe, pretty and beach front for about $100 USD a night? I still plan on going on PST (would this be weird for a single traveler?) and the other things that I have planned....Mostly looking for advice on hotel and easy access to taxi's to the markets and a 'bit' of night life....

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bucket list vaca w/ hubby is now a Solo trip due to divorce

Hi there!

Congrats on the Divorce (?) and making the choice to travel on your own!

Most of Phuket is fairly safe, We usually stay in Rawai or Nai Yang beach. These are quieter areas.

If you want to be in the hustle and bustle Patong is a good idea and you will be safe here (well pretty well everywhere in Thailand!)

Just make sure touse common sense and you will be fine!

PST shoudl be fine on your own, they are very friendly and im sure you will make friends with other tourists :)

Coudl try a tour about Phuket with a private driver? or on a tour

Regards

Sam

http://www.travellingking.com

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bucket list vaca w/ hubby is now a Solo trip due to divorce

Hey There,

Congrats on the choice to continue on with your plan to see beautiful Phuket, YOU wont regret it :)

Phuket is like any other country, common sense goes a long way when it comes to being safe :) you will have a great time with PST so dont worry about it.

Now as for where to stay, when would you be looking at traveling (what month) by telling us that we can give you the correct options to suit the time of year :)

Our favourite place to stay is Kamala, close enough to Patong if we felt like some serious shopping or partying yet far enough away that it is quiet & relaxing on the beach, let us know when your wanting to stay & i know you will get plenty of advice :)

Vinny

Vinny

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,338 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bucket list vaca w/ hubby is now a Solo trip due to divorce

I also congratulate you on continuing with your trip. Phuket is a great friendly place, you wont feel alone, unless you want to.

Definately still do PST, you wont feel strange at all, I have met many people on these trips travelling alone.

You dont say when your trip is? High or low season. Or where your preference to stay is.

I always stay in Patong, and i am almost 50, so same same as you. I never feel scared there, infact safer than at home. The advantage of staying in Patong is that you have lots of choices for eating, shopping stc, without the need of Tuk Tuks on your own.

Check out Salathai Resort, in Patong, Very central location close to beach, but not too close to the main "Entertainment " street of Bangla rd. In low season, you can get rooms for $60-75AUD

Michelle

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bucket list vaca w/ hubby is now a Solo trip due to divorce

Congratulations from my side also for continuing your journey. Surely you will have a great time in Phuket. I stayed at patong resort hotel and it was nice and very good location. Everything was nearby and in walking distance. For other hotels you can check into

www.sawadee.com

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bucket list vaca w/ hubby is now a Solo trip due to divorce

I would stay in Patong so that you don't have to negotiate with tuk tuk and taxi drivers check out the Asiatravel and Sawadee websites to see whats available for your budget.

www.asiatravel.com

www.sawadee.com

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
778 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bucket list vaca w/ hubby is now a Solo trip due to divorce

Well done for deciding to continue with your bucket list!

I am in the process of having some dental work done in Phuket and stayed solo in Patong for a week in May. I felt totally safe at all times and had a great time (in spite of a sore mouth).

Plenty of shopping to keep you busy, do some organised tours, do a PST tour. No problem eating by yourself and perhaps you may be able to share a table with someone. I hired a driver through Mr Chai to take me to Phuket night markets, he was lovely and picked me up again at the agreed time. Also look into cooking classes.

You'll have a wonderful time, I'm sure!

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,538 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bucket list vaca w/ hubby is now a Solo trip due to divorce

Well done!

If you come before Nov, its still low season and rooms can be as cheap as 800B (Amata) a night (but not the hilton).

USD 100 is probably about 3200B. I just did a dummy booking for 1st to 5th Oct and Doubletree Hilton on Surin beach is going for 3200B a night. A bit away from the action, but just to show you can actually get a hilton for your budget.

Go to phuket and have fun. Take a scuba course, go diving, and have a good time.

I occasionally go to phuket alone to dive (sort of problem to sync the same time with friends),and end up meeting all sorts of interesting people, especially on the dive boats. Some of them I still keep in touch on facebook.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
Level Contributor
3,925 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bucket list vaca w/ hubby is now a Solo trip due to divorce

Haha I agree with Maics advice about scuba diving...but then I have to admit that I am rather biased. :-) Well done on you with not changing your plans, come and have a ball!!!

9. Re: Bucket list vaca w/ hubby is now a Solo trip due to divorce

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, June 29, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Phuket Town