We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

prepaid currency cards

Which Phuket Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
prepaid currency cards

what is the best currency to use on a pre paid card in phuket and are they accepted in restaurants , shops and bars. cheers!

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
14,582 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: prepaid currency cards

You do know that you can also change cash over to Thai baht and also travelers checks too - right?

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-s601/Thailand…

I have no problem with my regular bank and credit union debit cards. Money comes directly out of my account back home. Check the above currency link. You do pay a fee to use an ATM. For cheap purchases in stores, bars and restaurants my advice is to use cash!

Check with the bank or company who issues these cash cards and see if they can be used overseas. Don't rely on a single card for all of your money.

Other than purchasing flights, so far I have never had to use a credit card in Thailand. I do use debit cards in some ATM's every now and then but never in stores or restaurants. But this is easy if you choose cheaper places to eat at and drink at.

Thousands of posts on currency if you use the search function.

Up to you.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,498 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: prepaid currency cards

Currency in Phuket is THB and the card need to manage the conversion.

You can use prepaid visa or mastercard from UK as long as they include the option to be used abroad. It will work similar to a visa or mastercard debit card. Fees might be different (can be up to above 5%!). You need to check with the card issuer.

Not all restaurants, shops and bars do accept credit cards. You always should carry some cash as well.

All other info is given by Infidelal or can be found as part of the Thailand forum FAQ.

Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
779 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: prepaid currency cards

Hi how about the Caxton fx card? Once it's set up you can just load up whenever you want providing you have Internet access. The Caxton card can be used in restaurant supermarkets and wherever you can use a Visa card. There is no charge for withdrawals but from what I have read the Thai banks charge 150 thb for each withdrawal. Is a good way of carrying around your money without having cash on you or travellers cheques. If you lose it you just cancel and they will refund your money back but what we tended to do was just load up a bit at a time, say a few days worth so that if we did lose it it was no hardship, of course we still had our other cards with us for back up. Hope that helps?

4. Re: prepaid currency cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, January 06, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Phuket Town