We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car without a credit card!

London
Level Contributor
30 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Renting a car without a credit card!

Hi,

I'm looking to rent a car for my trip to phuket in the summer but have found that most companies state that you need to produce a credit card when collecting the car.

I've actually never had a credit card in all my years and have solely relied on a visa debit card. I've rented cars in the past in a few different countries and used companies like budget and not had a problem.

I was getting a little worried as all the rental sites I was looking at had the same note in the small print about needing to produce a credit card. It was clearly stated that debit cards would not be accepted. So, I was wondering if anybody else has rented a car in phuket without having to show a credit card? If so, which company?

any advice would be appreciated. thanks.

Moremi Game...
Level Contributor
659 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a car without a credit card!

I don't have credit cards either and rent cars in thailand with my visa debit card , it functions in the same way and gets pre-authorised for the deposit amount which then shadows the account , don't know the full workings of the system , but it's something like that.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
442 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a car without a credit card!

most rental companies there ask for cash on delivery. Have never used CC when hiring in Phuket. Have used both Braun and andaman without an issue.

Spoz

Western Australia
Level Contributor
164 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a car without a credit card!

Like Andy (post above) I have used a Visa debit card for years to rent cars in Thailand with no problem. In recent years I have used Budget, and found them excellent.

London
Level Contributor
30 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a car without a credit card!

Thanks guys. I appreciate the responses.

Phuket
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a car without a credit card!

Mostly every car rent in Phuket used guarantee by credit card only.

if you dont' have credit card , please pay cash to them and copy your passport also.

Bangkok, Thailand
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a car without a credit card!

Dear Sir

Read your reply mail to Andy dated 28 march 2011. I called budget but they said it's not possible to rent a car without a cc. Could you kindly inform which office did you contact? I am interested myself but no way out. Thank you.

Irene

e-mail:- irene_au8@hotmail.com

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
792 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting a car without a credit card!

Is visa debit card not the same as using credit card?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
42,259 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting a car without a credit card!

Debit Card and Credit Card are not the same. A Debit Card immediately draws cash from the account on which it is based, irrespective of funds, so you could go overdrawn (unless you have a limit, in which case the transaction will be declined). A Credit Card puts a charge against the account on which it is based, the amount to be paid back to the credit card company later (unless it is a pre-loaded one) but may be declined if you exceed the available credit. Merchants prefer debit cards, if their systems can accept them, as they are basically cash straight into their accounts. Credit Cards incur a charge on the merchant which some try to pass on but generally will take cash instead.

Western Australia
Level Contributor
164 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Renting a car without a credit card!

Hi Irene,

Re your post #6 above.

I have picked up Budget cars many times using my Visa Debit Card from Budget in Bangkok, in Phuket, and in Chiang Mai. All with no problem.

Usually (although not always) I have made the reservation on line through Budget's website before leaving home.

Good luck with your reservation!

Mike.

New York
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Renting a car without a credit card!

Hi All...

I am moving from Koh Samui to Koh Chang, and was looking forward to renting a car from Budget. But I called them and they said ABSOLUTELY no rental without a credit card. Like you, I have Debit cards with VISA logo from the US and Thailand.

So what's the final word??

Thanks!

D. Oshman