We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Phuket to Khao Lak?

Which Phuket Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
san francisco
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
Getting from Phuket to Khao Lak?

Hi, can anyone tell me:

1) Detailed instructions for taking a bus from Phuket to Khao Lak?

2) Approximate cost for taking a taxi from Phuket to Khao Lak?

I have also heard it referred to as Ban Khao Lak.

Thanks!!

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Phuket to Khao Lak?

Hi

we used a Khao Lak based driver called Boss, fantastic service and driver, lovely A/C cars, charges 1000bhat Phuket airport to KL, e-mail: cheaper_khaolak@ymail.com he will reply straight away

we also used him for tours too, highly recommend using him, you will find lots of reviews and recommendations for him on Khao Lak forum, he and his drivers travel to Phuket daily so no problem for pick up

Khao Lak is amazing, it was our first time there and loved it, hope you do too :-) 'Ban' means village or town, hence 'Ban Khao Lak'

not sure about the bus? but you would get it from Phuket town bus station

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Phuket to Khao Lak?

The bus will cost you less than 200 baht - the bus will travel through Phang Nga but normally you will not have to change buses but you will stop and depending on which bus you get (which is impossible to give information on) you may stop a lot. I believe buses will depart at least every hour from Phuket town. If you stay on the road out of Phuket you can flag down some buses but you may not get a seat and the saving in bus fare is minimal.

As stated before you will need to get to the bus station in Phuket town first and depending on where you stay that could cost more than the bus ride up there. The cheapest and easiest option is to book a mini van ride which you can get from pretty much any hotel or side of the road travel agent and this normally will include picking you up from your hotel.

It will take quite a while and you may have to change mini vans in Phuket because they have to fill the van and will pick up from all around the island. Once they are full though they don't stop like the buses (at least normally not).

Taxi is the nice easy scenic option, cheapest bus if you can get cheaply to the bus station otherwise air con mini van if you are not worried about delays. 1,000 baht for your own taxi is very good - I have my own car and to go and come back is around 600 baht just for gasoline not including any wear and tear or time for the driver.

The Ban question has been answered.

Enjoy your stay.

Edited: 1:02 pm, October 28, 2010
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Phuket to Khao Lak?

Just to clarify: Boss charges 1000bhat 'from the airport' it will be slightly more depending on where you are staying, just e-mail and get a quote, but we still found him the cheapest and the best

also try www.phuketshuttle.com but i think you find them more expensive than Boss

san francisco
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Phuket to Khao Lak?

fantastic thanks everyone!

5. Re: Getting from Phuket to Khao Lak?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 28, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Phuket Town