We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

things to do/see

Which Karon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
scotland
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
things to do/see

My husband and I are going to Phuket (Karon) in November/December staying at Le Meridian. We are just looking for ideas/suggestions of the 'must see/do' as we don't want to regret not doing something. We hope to do elephant trekking and a boat tour of some of the islands while we are in Phuket. Suggestions on places to eat would also be helpful, thanks.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
169 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: things to do/see

If you like sunsets, I would recommend going to PROMTHREP CAPE to watch the sun going down. It is the most southerly tip on Phuket Island and is a great viewpoint. There is an elephant shrine and large terraced areas to accommodate the big crowds. Some shops to browse after the sunset.

On your way to Promthrep Cape from Karon, you can stop at KATA VIEWPOINT to get an amazing view of the west coast beaches (Kata Noi, Kata and Karon).

WAT CHALONG TEMPLE and THE BIG BUDDHA monument are also 'must see'. Unless you do not like spiritual temples.

A 'must do' is the speed boat tour to PHANG NGA BAY with Phuket Sails Tours. An amazing trip with a very professional company. More expensive than the 'run of the mill' tours but definitely worth every penny. Lunch at Koh Panyee (Muslim village on stilts) is fantastic and included in cost.

Do get the 'feel good factor' by having lots of Thai massages. Superb value for money!!!

The SEA GYPSY VILLAGE in Rawai is worth a visit for a meal of freshly caught fish. Choose your fish from the many fish stalls and then walk over to the other side of the driveway to a restaurant of your choice and they will cook the fish for you. Lots of trinket stalls to browse after your meal.

Check out the guy selling coconut milk near Rawai Pier. He machetes the green coconuts with amazing dexterity.

I'm sure more people will come along with other suggestions.

You'll have a great time.

Tia :)

Phuket
Level Contributor
577 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: things to do/see

Hi , Try clicking on the 'Things to do' button at the top of this page and then on the 'Activities' button . Here you will find a list of reputable tour operators on the Island offering a range of quality trips and activities . I can recommend the Phi Phi Islands and Phang-Nga Bay as boxes you should tick whilst here in Phuket . Hiring a driver for the day to show you around the sites in Phuket is another day well spent here . Phuket has stacks of excellent restaurants and staying at Le Meridian you are only a 5 minute drive from Patong and a 10 - 15 minute drive from Karon and Kata beach - all of which have good Thai , Seafood , Italian , International Restaurants etc.

Giles - Offspray Leisure Day trips , Phuket

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
772 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: things to do/see

A visit to weekend market is good fun and the local food there is awesome for very cheap prices!

Every Saturday & Sunday 5pm -22pm.

The weekend market can be combine with the tour MissTia suggested, (which is a very good route she done for you there, she cover it all! :-)

Have a great holiday!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: things to do/see

To Eat everyone at our resort raved about Red Onion, too busy for us as we went over the school holidays. Found a nice little place a few shops up from there called Baan Karon I think, which was great.

The elephants are a must if you haven't been on one and my sister has raved about a boat trip run by John Grays sea canoes. They take you to the islands and also to a muslim floating village for lunch. Otherwise there are many tour operators in the area.

scotland
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: things to do/see

Thanks, great suggestions. I'll be sure to check them out :)

Queensland...
Level Contributor
725 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: things to do/see

In Karon my fav places to eat are the following -

Ging - absolutely great food and service here. Everything from the lobster to the pizzas are tremendous.

Bai Toey - lovely food, good service and not bad pricewise.

No Name Restaurant - next to Bamboo Pharmacy (i hope they are still there - is a small place but the food was delicious and prices cheap)

Have eaten at Red Onion a few times and the food was good but it was very crowded, got the impression they like to get you in and out quickly - which is understandable turnover wise.

Also, if you get the chance The After Beach Bar (I class it more a restaurant than bar) has a great view as it's up on hill overlooking Kata Noi. Beautiful sunsets here sitting out on the deck. The food and service were both very good.

Enjoy :)

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: things to do/see

Go Karon temple Market I think its on a Tuesday evening.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
725 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: things to do/see

Karon Markets are on Saturday and Tuesday evenings in the Temple Grounds :)

Brisbane
Level Contributor
58 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: things to do/see

A fabulous place for dinner is Sabai Corner. It takes some finding but it is extremely well worth the effort I guarantee.. It is off the main road, just after Kata, so you will need to take a tuk tuk and ask to be collected to return.

It is reviewed on the KATA restaurants pages. According to the reviews, plenty of people make the journey from Patong , so it must be worth it. Just read the reviews, note my directions are there on another reviewers entry, so you will find it. This little gem is adored by the local ex-pats and was way-way down the list last year,on the last page in popularity, now it's deservedly at number 12 favourite in Kata. Take note though ..... You MUST go late afternoon to get the view.

10. Re: things to do/see

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 05, 2014