We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pound v baht

Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
pound v baht

Hi,just a quick question with regards to currency at the moment.

this week in the UK the pound to the baht exchange rate has dropped and was just wondering what the current exchange rate is over at Karon beach

We are due to travel to Karon for 2 weeks over easter and just wondered what the current rates are and wether to purchase baht before we leave or wait until we get to Phuket

Any advice would be most helpful

Thanks

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
43,227 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pound v baht

Have a look at this Traveler Article that gives you information on all currency options available tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-s601/Thailand… and this link which gives you the current day to day rates for all Thai banks …daytodaydata.net/default.aspx

You get a better rate of exchange over here than in the UK.

Let's hope the rate picks up. It is the lowest I have ever known.

London, England
Level Contributor
382 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pound v baht

Never buy in the UK - you get terrible rates both on the High Street, and especially for last-minute purchases at UK airports. Look at the really helpful currency FAQs at the top right of the forum page and you will find included a link to "daytodaydata". This gives virtually real-time rates, regularly updated. Latest best rate quoted today is still over 45 baht to the £. Not brilliant at the moment - we were getting 49 in mid-January - but much better than in the UK.

Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pound v baht

Thanks for the quick response

i think i will just get a few baht to take with me and the majority when i get there

london
Level Contributor
267 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: pound v baht

Hi

don't even take a few Baht with you, just change maybe £50 at Bangkok airport when you arrive, plenty of exchange places even in transit, or change some at Phuket when you arrive whilst waiting for your luggage....

thanks

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,626 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: pound v baht

Hi,

Sadly, it looks as though the £ will drop even more. Anyway, as suggested do change your money once you arrive in Thailand.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,094 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: pound v baht

Hi

The £ has dropped 2 baht per pound in the 10 days we have been here. Currently 44.6 ish bahts to the pound at the moment (as of tonight), which is pretty dire. Sadly, Andy is right, it will get worse before it gets better.

Don't change anything until you get to Thailand. In the UK you will get around 40thb to the pound, but in the airport of your arrival in Thailand you will get the 44thb.

We normally change a bit on arrival, and then more when we get to resort.

Edited: 10:28 am, February 26, 2013
Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: pound v baht

Yes the baht is currently beating many currencies and totally slaughtering the pound. Was 49.89 just before christmas, now 45.25 (notes) at super rich and expected to drop further as we lose our triple AAA credit status.

As others say always change currency in Thailand, the airport doesn't offer great exchange rates but certainly far better than in the UK.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
11,324 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: pound v baht

When I arrived in early January, was getting nearly 49 baht to the £1, 7 weeks later, it had dropped to 45baht to the £1. Can only hope it stabilises soon as I'm back in May, as Thailand is not a cheap destination anyway., especially Phuket.

New South Wales...
Level Contributor
175 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: pound v baht

Í'd recommend waiting until you get to Thailand - but unless you desperately need to I wouldn't recommend changing money at the airport as you'll get the lowest rates around.

If you've pre-booked hotel transfers then you'll have no need to get an exchange done until the next day. There are so many little exchange booths around the place that you'll be spoilt for choice. Check out 3 or 4 different ones to see what rates are being offered. These little booths usually offer a better rate than the bank branches.

I'm surprised that someone thinks that Thailand isn't a cheap destination! I have to disagree.

Enjoy your trip :)

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: pound v baht

i won,t be visiting again 50 bht to the £ last time was bad enough 45 no way