We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day 3 : getting wet with ladyboys!!!

Which Karon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
144 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Day 3 : getting wet with ladyboys!!!

Hi everyone,

Time for an update from today's great adventure in Karon, Phuket island, Thailand...

So, we booked the phang nga speedboat trip with phuketsaiktours (.co.uk) when we were backin the uk. Jocky emailed us last night the confirm our room and to let us know that we were being picked up at 6:45. Ouchy. So last night we went to the 7-11 and picked up some bread rolls, nutella, water, etc. Just to ensure that we had something to eat in the morning. The reason being, that the hotel didn't start serving breakfast until 6:30 at the earliest, which wouldn't have give us enough time for eating.

So the alarm goes off at 6:00 and Mrs Doobs and I get up and get through the shower. We come back to the room and "try" to raise mini Doobs. To the response we get of "do we have to go?". To which we both replied, "yes!!!!"

So 10-15 mins later, he is up and dressed. We eat our rolls and nutella, take a drink and pack our bags. We pack our snorkels, masks, change of clothes, water, suntan cream, camera, go-pro (underwater camera) and money and head to reception, dead on 6:45.

As we arrive, a pimped up silver van arrives...oh dear....(we laughed) and it was our ride. The was another couple in the back of the van looking equally as tired as us, we acknowledge each other with a "morning, yawn" and we head off to ao po on the north east part of Phuket.

About 45 mins later we arrive at our destination, Ao Po harbour and meet Captain Mark. A typical captain, grey hair, cap, pipe, shiver me timbers, etc... Seriously, apart from shiver my timbers, he was a proper captain!!! (sorry Mark if you read this).

He introduces himself and Sompang, his other guide, offers us drinks and to use the toilet, we then sort out payment and the trip starts. All good so far.

We get shown a map of where we were going, and we walked down to the speed boat at the harbour. We boarded our charter, and met everyone else. There was about 18 of us, and we fitted comfortably. We were shown the drinks cooler, the toilet and where to sit. Great. Off we go to the first destination, a "hong" or room as the Thais call it. So off we go, about 20 mins or so later we arrive, and are given each a torch. We have to walk through a tunnel, in the dark, lead my Sompang, to reach the mangrove hong. We are shown how wonderful the cave is as we walk and eventually the light can be seen about 50 metres further up, and we arrive. The hong is huge!!! The sides go up 100+ feet, and there is mud and sand at the bottom where we are standing, Their beauty, is that each is like its own Eco-system, with crabs, mangroves, birds, insects and mud skippers. Mark showed us around and explained loads about them, including showing us a dolphin!!! You will have to attend the tour to find out about that. So after about 40 minutes it's time to leave, we walk back through the tunnel and then board the speed boat.

We then head off at speed, and I mean quick...it's amazing what speed the boat can do, to go and play in some sea canones! I ask if I can "drive" mrs Doobs and mini Doobs, to which I am allowed!! Loads of people get into their sea canones and are chauffeured around some other hongs, we get in last, we myself at the helm. Paddling to catch up the rest of the team, I wondered if it was a good idea... Hindsight is amazing sometimes!!! Anyway, we canone around the hongs, in and out of these secret lagoons, taking loads of photos, then we head back to the boat and jet off again....

Next stop....James Bond island. I have personally visited it before, but wished to show Mrs Doobs and mini Doobs. We arrive and Captain Mark warns us of the tourism here, and we pass the shops of the obligatory photo in from of this famous landmark. We have a good skirt around, with Mark explaining all about the James Bond film and how Roger Moore flies down and gets lazered from the island. Anyway, 30-40 mins later, we get back onto the speed boat and off we go again......

Next stop to see a cave with some carved images of fish and monkeys, right next to the gypsy village where we were to have lunch. Captain Mark explained that these were written on the cave wall thousands of years ago, when the water was higher, or lower..... Anyway, a brief stop then onto lunch at the gypsy stick village.

We arrive and have a really nice lunch. We had loads of Thai food, cooked really well. Then we explored these wonderful people. (who are not really gypsies, they are Muslim fishermen). We take a stroll and see the famous football pitch (yes on stilts), the school and the medical centre, then have the option to shop. Mrs Doobs bought some trousers and then back to the boat for our next stop!!

SomPang wanted to show us a thousand year old tree, so off we go. The speed boat is really moving fast now and to stop us being sick, Sompang starts giving everyone fruit, ranging from bananas to Lychees to mangosteens and some other style of fruit. He kept popping them open them giving them to everyone!!! Lol.

Anyway, we arrive at the tree on a small island, and to be fair, it was massive!!!! Yup that is one old tree. In a forest, on an island... Back to the boat and onto snorkelling, our last stop of the day.

Captain Mark and the team take us to this little known island. Imagine, white sands, green blue sea, small islands coming out of the sea, trees and fish....tropical paradise. We have about 40 minutes, and we feed the fishy snorkel and have a really romantic time.... No one else here except our little boat, bliss.

Back to the boat and we jet off REALLY fast to home....bouncing and jumping we arrive back about 30 minutes later. It was a fantastic trip and I would highly recommend it. I am tired, and if I had more time would write more. To say I took about 200+ photos, gives you an idea of what we saw.

We got back to our hotel at about 6:30 and quickly got changed, for Mr Pe to pick us up for Simons Caberet! Ih my, we were tired. But it was fun, with all the ladyboys singing and dancin to famous tracks, including Burlesque and Gloria Gayner!!! Go with the flow and enjoy the show! It's just Fun.... We had a photo with the lady boys after, and to be honest felt ripped off, so be warned . It says 40bhat a piccy, but it isn't.

Mr Pe was waiting for us, and 10 minutes later we are back at our hotel. We dived into the restaurant for food, ad we were all starving, and then jumped into our hot tub! I am writing this now and Mrs Doobs and Mini Doobs are sleeping...

I am off to bed. Tomorrow is Phuket Tour with Panya, our guide....

Doobs

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
Level Contributor
3,925 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Day 3 : getting wet with ladyboys!!!

Great trip report and glad you enjoyed your day out with The Captain. He does go well out of his way to offer his guests something special.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Day 3 : getting wet with ladyboys!!!

I am really enjoying reading about your adventures and can't wait for the next part.

Sanctuary Point...
Level Contributor
562 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Day 3 : getting wet with ladyboys!!!

Thanks for a fantastic report, finally caught up with all your happenings. Just loved your detailed report with Phuket Sail Tours, have booked that tour for Oct. So excited now I have read about your trip, did the Sail boat last time so can't wait to see Captain Mark and his crew again. Keep up the updates just love them

Cheers Bom

Gilroy, California
Level Contributor
126 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Day 3 : getting wet with ladyboys!!!

Great report. Keep churning them.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
144 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Day 3 : getting wet with ladyboys!!!

Thanks Bom. To be honest, you inspired us after reading your reports!!!

Where would recommend for mrs Doobs for some "copy" handbags pls?

australia
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Day 3 : getting wet with ladyboys!!!

Great read again. Everytime I read your reports, I jut want to be back there.

Thanks for taking the time.

Till tomorrow:)

Sanctuary Point...
Level Contributor
562 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Day 3 : getting wet with ladyboys!!!

Thanks Doobrey Doo another that followed my trip, I was overwhelmed so it was hard to remember everyone. I didn't buy any copy handbags but I found Findigs had such great bargains and variety.

18. Re: Day 3 : getting wet with ladyboys!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, August 09, 2013