We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 weeks and counting

london
Level Contributor
105 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
3 weeks and counting

hello everyone,just over three weeks for our first visit thailand(phuket),if anyone can help with the following,it would be appreciated,what to expect weather wise,is safe to swim in the sea,are sterling travellers cheques ok,and eating out prices.cant wait so looking forward to the trip,thank you all,garryblake

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,746 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 weeks and counting

Hi,

I'll address some of these issues..

Traveler's Checks? This is one of the big 3 options-- cash/card/checks.... T/C's do incur a B33 per check stamp tax when redeemed so bring fewer high denominated checks to minimize the number of B33 taxes you'll pay.. You also need to have your passport on hand when you exchange them..While they may not be as convenient as cash or even plastic (cards), the clear upside is their replace-ability if lost/stolen.

Water safety.. Overall the notion of a life guard or water safety officer isn't as common here as it is in other countries.. and tragically some people are lost while swimming due to a variety of reasons.. so, while it is generally safe to swim, you'd be wide to ask locally for issues like rip currents and other risks..

Weather.. You can take a look at the Thai government's website for very accurate weather forecasting..

Travel Safe,

Edited: 4:36 am, April 13, 2011
norfolk england
Level Contributor
62 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 weeks and counting

see you there garry! flying out on 05/05 and cant wait. also 1st time in thailand. 6 of us going so should be a good crack!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
185 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 weeks and counting

The weather is generally fine and sunny, but you can never predict the weather fully. It is fine to swim in the sea provided that you use a bit of common sense, know the local waters, know your strenghts/limits etc. Money, personally I always take enough cash for a week or so and then go to an ATM when I am running out. So much easier. Eating out prices? Depends, you can spend as little as £1 at a street stall or £50 upwards at a posh restaurant.

london
Level Contributor
105 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 weeks and counting

thank you for your help much appreciated

Queensland
Level Contributor
483 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 weeks and counting

Garry - Lucky you. We love Karon - heading back for our third visit this Oct.

Don't miss the following for a great meal -

Red Onion - get in early (or there is usually a queue), food is great and price is very good.

Karon Seafood - good BBQ skewered prawns (great takeway to eat at the beach with a large cold Chang watching the sunset).

Ging - fabulous food, excellent service and prices are good. (Best loo in Phuket)

Restaurant with no name - next to the Bamboo Pharmacy. Good food and very cheap.

Karon Night Markets - in the temple grounds are worth a look. We got 'Billabong' Tshirts there for $1AU.

Old Phuket Weekend Night Markets - great bargains.

Fantasea - show is really good - can't comment on food as we only did the show.

If you hire a driver and do a day trip - think of including some of the following - Big Buddah, Small View Restaurant, Rang Hill, Surin, Kata Noi.

If you're at the Karon Markets visit 'MaMa's' - the last 'tent' towards Karon Circle - the coldest Chang in Phuket always served with a smile. They also sell soft drinks, fresh fruit, etc.

Enjoy your trip.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Phuket FantaSea
Phuket FantaSea
7,000 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Kata Noi Beach
Kata Noi Beach
2,427 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Byron Bay, Australia
Level Contributor
679 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 weeks and counting

3 weeks from now and we will be on the flight to Phuket! Yay

Staying at the Hilton, Karon

"FanofKaron" where a bouts is Ging Restaurant

And the Karon Night Markets, and what time do they start?

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Queensland
Level Contributor
483 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 weeks and counting

Byron Bay -

Ging Restaurant is in the Aroona Complex near the Old Phuket Hotel (the beach entrance) walking from Karon Hilton head towards Karon Circle you will come across the Aroona Arcade/Complex. There is a great massage place next to the Tailors and Ging is on the left hand side about half a dozen shops down. Ging do a great lobster (we normally 'celebrate' our last meal in Karon with a splurge here), pizzas are fantastic (only had them takeaway).

Karon Night Markets are in the temple grounds - head to Karon Circle and turn right, keeping walking toward the top of the 'hill'/crest. I can't recall exactly what day and time these are on - just ask one of the locals. I find the ladies in Ging and the lady at the mini mart (in the Aroona Complex) are always very helpful with information - like catching the blue baht bus into Phuket Town - cost 30baht.

Hope the above helps - enjoy your trip ByronBay1.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket Town
Phuket Town
Phuket, Thailand
El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
16 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 weeks and counting

one suggestion: go to www.whatson-thailand.com for the most current information about things to do in Phuket. This is a website of a Phuket tourist magazine we picked up during our stay last year. I am a 54 year old grandmother and i felt that the water had 2 many very strong undercurrents for me to swim in. In fact, a local drowned while we were there. We stayed in a hotel up on the hill between Karon beach and Patong and could see the big buddha from our hotel room. Yes it rained while we were there but it was tolerable. The temple night markets were the best places to get cheap food and to shop at. They were on tuesday and saturday nights starting around 6pm. We rented a scooter while we were there but if you dont ride a scooter already...I would not really recommend it. The traffic there is just organized kaos. Although it is the cheapest and best way to get around.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Karon Beach
Karon Beach
5,689 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
9. Re: 3 weeks and counting

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 am, October 30, 2012