We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Patong or karon

Which Karon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
89 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Patong or karon

Going to Phuket in july, in a dilemma now. Firstly cant decide on whether to say in Amari Coral Reef Resort or any other resorts in Karon, as I was told that Karon beach is better. Am looking for a hotel/resor with beautiful seaview rooms and if possible with jacuzzi in the room. Any suggestions would be welcome.

thank you

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Patong or karon

Between the 2 Karon would be my choice, but as someone has already pointed out July is not the best bet weatherwise. Samui would be a better option in July

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Patong or karon

My question is to those who have been - how far is Karon beach from Patong beach ?

- It's what, 10 minutes by tuk tuk ?

Can you walk it ?

-Not if you want to live.

And if so how further is Kata on from Karon ?

- Another 10 minutes by tuk tuk ?

I like to walk - even in hot weather - which im hoping for in December and would like to visit these beaches after some of the reviews i have read about Patong beach.

- the walk from Amari to Patong, then along the length of the beach, and back, should be plenty. The walk from the northern end of Karon to the start of Kata beach and back is a good one too.

Amari is nice but you have to walk down a big hill to get to the sandy part of Patong beach. And up it on the way back. A very good TA'er posted these, including a shot of the hill:

…google.com/sheridan.barjacoba/…

You have to admit, it looks pretty good.

Edited: 6:19 am, March 06, 2011
Queensland
Level Contributor
483 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Patong or karon

Hi

Yes the Old Phuket have transport into Patong and also shuttle bus into Phuket Town.

Tour desks can be found in Aroona Arcade - we used the one at the massage place right at the end (closest to beach) next to the tailor. We got some good prices from here. Pretty sure they have a 'tour desk' at the Hotel but would hazard a guess that they would be a little dearer.

Shopping in Karon is just as good as Patong with regard to the 'market stalls' (I found Karon a lot cheaper) but no Karon doesn't have the shopping centres like Jucelong that are in Patong. Can't beat the weekend markets in Phuket Town though.

We are planning our holiday for Oct this year...... Yipppeee - I can't wait.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
220 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Patong or karon

Shopping in karon can be great depending on what you want. every thursday the temple market runs which is close by the the old phuket.

Market is very cheap but westerners may have trouble with sizes as its mainly thai sizes only.

There are also 2 markets close by one near centara karon and one near moevenpick.

the O top in phuket is probably worth a trip anyway as it has the best selection IMO in phuket.

I usually recomend people stay in Karon because Patong can bee too much staying there but on the other hand the Amari Coral is in a perfect location to escape that. It has a Jetty that you can have dinner on just out the front. and it is across a bridge from the rest of Patong.

I agree that Karon is just a scaled down version of Patong, I think that Karon has better restaurants.

When I stay in Karon I usually get a tuk tuk into Patong every couple of days when I want to party hard or go get lost in back streets.

HAVE FUN!

Auckland
Level Contributor
70 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Patong or karon

Wife and I stayed in Karon in June 2009 and will stay in Patong this June, beach in Karon is not good for swimming in the low season and Patong has a bigger selection of restaurants.

Also didn't like dealing with tuk tuks so are staying in a central location.

We don't tend to spend much time on the beach though, we prefer lots of day trips and nightlife.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Patong or karon

I vote for Patong! I like to be close to the action and there are more shops and restaurants there. I find Karon too quiet. (nice to visit for the day)

Depends what you like as to which place you choose.

No matter where you stay you will have a great time!! :)

17. Re: Patong or karon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:15 pm, October 24, 2012