We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What vaccinations if any are needed for travel to Phuket

Which Karon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
What vaccinations if any are needed for travel to Phuket

Hi, were going to Karon in April and want to know what vaccs if any are needed. We are staying at the Moevenpick in a Penthouse plunge pool villa any comments on the hotel/room?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What vaccinations if any are needed for travel to Phuket

G'day Snooppoppy,

Go see your GP .. he or she has the ability to check via a website as to which vaccinations are reccomended ..Only thing I will say one strongly recommeded by my GP was the fluvax as it now contains H1N1 vax ( swine Flu) but I got all the others as well.

Cheers

Lozza and the future Mrs Lozza

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,923 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What vaccinations if any are needed for travel to Phuket

Hi

Please go speak to your GP or travel clinic about what YOU should do, as you may have health issues that require something.

Phuket is considered a low risk for Malaria, but do check as you may have a health issue that requires consideration.

However, Denge Fever is a High risk if you don't follow precautions to prevent some mozzies biting, repellant with a high % of Deet will help.

As for injections . . . ss there is good health care and good hygiene and sanitary conditions in AUS, many of the injections recommended you will have already had, including TB, Rubella, Polio, Diphtheria etc.

Most places recommend that you do need to have up to date (at least 8 weeks before you travel) the following:

Tetanus

Typhoid – it is an infectious disease in the digestive system and not be confused with Typhus which is caused by louse-borne bacteria.

Hepatitis A

Hep B is more a risk if you are planning to exchange bodily fluids.

The flu' vacination, which includes the recent strain, is also a popular shot!

But please don't rely on sites like this one and do seek medical advice only a qualified doctor or travel clinic can give you accurate and correct advice relating ot your health!

[xxx Lozza and the future Mrs Lozza xxxx]

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What vaccinations if any are needed for travel to Phuket

We have never gotten vaccinations for our holidays in Thailand but a good insect repellent is vital because of the Mosquitos.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,358 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What vaccinations if any are needed for travel to Phuket

H1N1 because of a visit to Phuket? I would strongly question that GP's advice.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What vaccinations if any are needed for travel to Phuket

G'day StevenL,

It was not only for Phuket but seeing as there are still cases of swine flu occuring in Se Asia then I felt it was good advice.

Especially after a family friend had to turn off her son's Life supports after being in a coma from complications from swine flu .... he didn't bother getting his Fluvax and contracted Swine flu after visiting various places on holidays.

There was also cases of swine flu reported in Phuket last year so I believe.

Cheers

Lozza

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
70 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What vaccinations if any are needed for travel to Phuket

Influenza and H1N1 are a combined vaccination now...the consideration relating to these is more about air travel not the destination.

Remember some people aren't overly considerate when it comes to covering their mouths when coughing and sneezing...and in a plane for several hours...no thanks.

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What vaccinations if any are needed for travel to Phuket

I'm going to Phuket in 8 days unprotected as Hep A,B and Typhoid has been unavailable for 3-4 months now,a huge shortage Australia wide,so fingers crossed.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,977 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What vaccinations if any are needed for travel to Phuket

In my opinion NONE1.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What vaccinations if any are needed for travel to Phuket

... but you are not a doctor are you? So it's inappropriate because you have been unaffected to advise other people to take the same risks as you.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
280 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What vaccinations if any are needed for travel to Phuket

It is better safe than sorry, I would defiantly have Hep A because it doesnt matter what country you travel to you can catch it even if you stay in a 5 star hotel,

Have a safe trip.