We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to travel from Karon to Patong at night?

california
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is it safe to travel from Karon to Patong at night?

Hi,me and my husband are planning to come to Phuket in mid march and are searching for hotels.I would prefer a 4-5 star resort on the Karon or Kata Beach but would like to go to Patong Night Markets/restaurants/clubs at night. Can someone tell me if it is safe to travel from Karon or Kata to Patong via tuk tuks at night? How far is Karon from Patong and how long does it take in a tuk tuk ?Thanks

Edited: 11:58 pm, January 27, 2011
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to travel from Karon to Patong at night?

There are frequent accidents on Phukets roads, so whether using a tuktuk, songtaew or car, its all much the same. You chances of being involved in an accident are rather small though. I'd pick a songtaew over a tuktuk any time as the songtaew (scheduled service that is) are less of a ripoff than tuktuks, which charge higher prices than taxis in some big cities!

Rawai Beach, Phuket
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
900 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to travel from Karon to Patong at night?

I didn't know you could get a songtaew at time of the day.

Or even that there are songtaews between Karon and Patong.

Unfortunately, tuk tuk may be your only option.

Some of the better hotels run a shuttle I believe.

Is the road safe? Although it is a windy and bumpy road, and has it's share of accidents, I have traveled it at night on my motorbike many times.

It's drunks, and dogs and Thai people who drive without lights that are probably the biggest problem.

Tuk tuk's are rip offs but readily available.

It's so unfortunate that we don't have other options here on Phuket for transportaion. But that's the way it is.

I'd at least try to make sure that your driver is not drunk.

Many of them are Muslim men who don't drink. It might pay to ask.

Good luck and Have Fun!

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
Level Contributor
3,994 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to travel from Karon to Patong at night?

Hi

Songtaews do not operate between Karon and Patong (only from Karon to Phuket Town). Tuk tuks and taxis are readily available from Kata/Karon to Patong and the drive is about 10 to 15 minutes costing around 400 baht 1 way.

If you return late at night from Patong to Karon it is possible that the drivers will increase the price.

Have fun!

Chantal.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,493 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to travel from Karon to Patong at night?

no problem we stayed at the Katathani hotel in Kata and went i to restaurants in Patong often at night. there's tuk tuks everywhere.

california
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to travel from Karon to Patong at night?

Actually,Kathathani is the hotel that I am thinking about booking for our trip in mid March !!!! How was this hotel? I will be staying there with my husband and we are in our early 40s....would like to go check out the night life in Patong a few nights.

I guess,a tuk tuk is my option other than a taxi from Patong to get back to the hotel ! Have heard of tourists getting ripped off by these drivers often and that kinda worries me a little but definitely don't want to stay in Patong for all 7 nights.Thanks for all your great advice and help.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe to travel from Karon to Patong at night?

Wow, I've made the tuk tuk trip from Patong to Karon and back late at night many times and never realized what a life threatening journey it was. Agree on a price before you go, 10 minute trip each way. Never had a problem. Last time cost us 400 baht (bit of a rip off but you take it or leave it) , he took us to the restaurant in Karon and then we called him up at about 11:30 and he came and picked us up and took us back to our hotel. Fely pretty safe to me so he was either a muslim or a budhist on the wagon. (just kidding)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
193 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe to travel from Karon to Patong at night?

Hi, Have to comment (1st one) My bestie girlfriend and I (both in our mid 40's)stayed at the old Phuket in Karon beach in April 2011 and we used tuk tuk to go into Patong and home late at night too. Paid 400thb each way and was so much fun. Driver may have been more scared of us as we had been drinking "Chang" beers all arvo/evening and were quite merry. We felt safe the whole time and loved the open air ride..so relax,kick back and enjoy paradise. Cheers

australia
Level Contributor
882 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe to travel from Karon to Patong at night?

If staying at Katathani they may have taxis attached to the hotel where you can go into Patong and arrange to ring them for pick-up later in the evening. That way you may feel better knowing your driver. We stayed at Katathani a few years ago and really enjoyed our stay there. Have a great holiday.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,771 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe to travel from Karon to Patong at night?

Really, a 10 minute ride from Karon to Patong in a tuk-tuk is about £8 ?.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it safe to travel from Karon to Patong at night?

jaynewcastle1,

Yep, we went from Patong Merlin to "on the rock" restaurant at the southern end of Karon beach a few weeks ago. 400 each way. Seems to be a set price as they were different drivers.

Get answers to your questions about Karon