We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving on 8th August - Some Advice Please

Which Karon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane
11 posts
Save Topic
Leaving on 8th August - Some Advice Please

Hi,

My 6 year old and I are leaving Brisbane for the Moevenpick on 8th August for 2 weeks and I had a few questions that you may be able to help me with:-

1. Must sees/must dos with a 6 year old in Karon

2. Is Fantasea cheaper to book whilst there than through my Travel Agent here?

3. Eating at Markets and road stalls - Is it safe?

4. Must visit restaurants that are child-friendly?

5. Are the major shopping centres worth a visit?

6. Elephant rides. I heard an awful story abt a Company that mis-treated it's elephant. Is there a reputable elephant riding Company that's safe for a little girl?

Sorry so many questions but thought 1 post was better than many!

Thanks so much.

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving on 8th August - Some Advice Please

1. Not sure about "must sees" in Karon, its not a big place, but check the Karon and Phuket forum pages for lots of information on the side bars.

2. Yes, any local agent can get you a small discount, and it includes hotel pickup.

3. Yes - but make sure the food is freshly cooked while you wait, don't pick from already cooked food which is being kept warm. And try to eat at a place that is busy with Thais, and it should be tasty :)

4. All restaurants are child friendly, unlike in the west

5. Yes, worth a wander around, plus you can cool off in the airconditioning!

6. She can ride an elephant at Fantasea.

Romsey, Victoria
Level Contributor
72 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving on 8th August - Some Advice Please

Hi,

I suggest the following:

1. Seeing you have a 6 year old, consider visiting the Dino Park in Kata (Southern end of Karon). It's a mini golf course with caves and dinosaurs.

2. You can book through local tourist booths. There are heaps in Karon and Kata. You can pay a little less through them. Well worth going though!

3. No problems eating at the local restaurants and cafes. The number one rule with street stalls - make sure the food is cooked in front of you to be safe.

4. Most restaurants are child friendly. They do served western food if the kids don't like Thai.

5. There is a major shopping centre in the centre of Patong which is ok. There is also a factory outlet (similar to the DFO outlets in Victoria) in Phuket Town. It has Rip Curl and other major outlets. The prices there are good.

6. Elephant Rides - Try Siam Safari Nature Tours. They are reputable. The local tourist booths will also provide advice.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
441 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving on 8th August - Some Advice Please

Hi,

If you PM me your email address I'll send you an 8 page file with kids activities that I planned for my grandchildren.

Book Fanasea when you get there.

Stalls "can" be safe if you watch the food being freshly cooked ... but it you can't see hot water on tap then guess where they wash your dishes ?? I'm sure the local experts can advise you more on that.

Regards Jeff

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving on 8th August - Some Advice Please

Washing dishes at street stalls is not really an issue as thousands of people eat at street stalls with few problems. More problems for stomachs come from food left on a low heat for a long time, like buffets or the stalls that have precooked food on display.

5. Re: Leaving on 8th August - Some Advice Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 19, 2011