We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Horizon Karon Beach Resort and Spa

Which Karon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
487 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Horizon Karon Beach Resort and Spa

Hi,

I was just wondering whether anyone could let me know how steep is the hill from the beach to the resort? How long would it get to walk to the beach? I understand the free tuk tuk stops running at 6pm...

Thank you so much for your help.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
73 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Horizon Karon Beach Resort and Spa

We will be there from 30 July to 8 August but probably going to extend our stay to the 12th - can't wait.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Horizon Karon Beach Resort and Spa

Hi to all,

We spent 10 nights at the Horizon Beach Resort mid-June and can honestly say we wish we could go back tomorrow. The hotel itself, grounds, staff and location were fantastic. The hill itself we didn't find to be a problem, we got the tuk tuk down a few times but walked mostly and had to laugh, as we only found out on the last day that there is a telephone at the bottom of the hill fixed to the taxi rank wall, for you to phone the guys up at reception to come down to collect you!!

I would also recommend anyone going to the Horizon to also look at upgarading to the Club Wing part of the hotel, there are numerous benefits such as an adults only swimming pool for those without kids (although we spent most of our time at the two other pools as there was more atmosphere), the rooms are larger with lovely large balconies with gorgeous comfortable loungers, plus you get 2 hours per day free drinks (spirits not beer?!) and nibbles between 12 and 2pm. You also get free complimentary Wi-Fi which is charged per day in the other sections of the hotel......all this for an extra $8AUS (low season) per person per night.....well worth it!

As for restaraunts in walking distance like other have said the small ones at the bottom of the hill to the right of the massage places are excellent value, we also at at the Red Onion (busy and we had to wait a while for a table) which is a tuk tuk ride away at Karon circle and we treated ourselves one night to eat at the Two Chefs (walking distance towards Kata) which was a superb meal in all regards but was on the expensive side at $80AUS including drinks for two courses. There is also a small restaraunt to the left of the bottom of the hill just set up back off the road, where we had two very nice meals and very cheap, oh and tiger beer was only 80baht!! It's the very 1st one you come to after walking left at the bottom of the hill.

As for the massages, they were to die for from the girls next to the soccer stadium, we had almost one per day (well you can can't you for $8 for an hour!!), in our opinion the girls at the end parlour furthest from the bottom of the hill were the best.

We did a few things whilst there and the highlight was the boat trip to Phi Phi island, we read all the stories about the seas being rough in low season (and they were in places) and while there did consider going with Simba tours (3000baht - $110Aus) but we took a chance and got the trip from the street sellers for 1100baht still on a speedboat and we had a fantastic day. Bear in mind too, the day we were scheduled to go out was wet and windy 1st thing in the morning, so we got the hotel to call the tour company to change to another day and this wasn't a problem.

As for the Fantasea show......mixed about that, visually it was a good show and the sound very good too but wasn't really our cop of tea, more because I guess it wasn't very nice to see beautiful animals performing tricks for the audience....we much prefered our elephant ride through the jungle at an elephant santuary and seeing them in a natural habitat. Each to their own I guess.

All in all we had a wondeful time and would go back to the Horizon tomorrow, the only negative aspect would be if I could have handled wearing one in the heat and humidity......I'd have worn a suit everytime I went out, those tailors were a pain in the preverbial backside!!

Hope this helped you guys going there soon.......you'll have a great time at the Horizon....oh and buy your beer from the little supermarket at the bottom of the hill for 35baht then stock up the fridge in your room, rather than paying 110baht at the hotel!

Enjoy........

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
487 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Horizon Karon Beach Resort and Spa

Yay finally we have booked our accommodaion at the Horizon :) We will be there for 5 nights before moving to a more budget hotel in Kata area for 3 more nights... mostly to avoid the expensive compulsary gala dinners...

Really can't wait!

Thank you once again for all of your advices! Much appreciated!

34. Re: Horizon Karon Beach Resort and Spa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 30, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Karon