We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking Distance.. Karon/Kata

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
494 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Walking Distance.. Karon/Kata

Hi,

At the moment we are deciding between The Old Phuket Hotel and The Horizon Karon beach Resort & Spa... both seems to have good review so really just depend on DH!

I was just wondering is it possible to walk from these hotels to the Kata beach area... or even to the view point at Kata Noi?? Or would the heat be too much and the taxi/tuk-tuk is a must? We love to walk and thought walking along the beach may not be too bad...

Also are there song-taew around Phuket? I guess that would be an easier option to get from one beach to another?

Your help is much appreciated. Thank you so much in advance...

Adelaide, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking Distance.. Karon/Kata

The Horizon Karon is actually in Kata or near enough to it but a great hotel anyway. We stayed there 18 months ago but we are going back in 5 weeks staying at The Village Resort and Spa in a poolside villa actually right in Karon this time as we found we were walking down to there every day

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
764 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking Distance.. Karon/Kata

As an approximate guide. its probably 2-3 klm from Karon Circle to the centre of Kata, it is walkable of an evening but, quite a big walk in the heat of the day. Cost of Tuk tuk or taxi, Karon to Kata in March was 200 baht. There is a song-taew that runs between Kata and Karon, then I believe on to Phuket City. Never used it so not sure how often it runs or the cost. FYI,we stayed at the Old Phuket hotel for a few nights and highly recommend it.

Andy

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,933 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking Distance.. Karon/Kata

Hi

It would be a really long and ardious walk to the view point, even if you started in the south Kata area. The other walks are a good 30mins walk, which is ok if you are ok with the walk.

There are buses ( www.phuket.net/visit-phuket/tips/buses.htm ) as well as the taxis and tuk-tuks (who will try to rip you off).

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,678 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking Distance.. Karon/Kata

Those buses are only possible from Kata to Karon.

While typing this, they do pass Kata as well on the main road on the way from Karon to Phuket Town. However, I have never heard of anybody taking the bus from Karon to Kata.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
494 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking Distance.. Karon/Kata

Thank you all very much for your replies.. sounds like we may be able to do an evening stroll down to Kata area for dinner and stroll back... but will be catching a taxi/tuk-tuk to the viewpoint... too far away I believe...

The reason I ask is that Kata sounds more like what we are after (quiet, nice beach with restaurants) but I spent so much time deciding on the hotel in Karon (which I thought was the area for us at the start) that I want to stick with these choices rather than starting to search for hotels in Kata... If the Horizon Karon is near enough to Kata, then am sure it should be okay...

Can't wait! Been to Phuket yearssss ago so will be good to go back again and see all the changes!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
494 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking Distance.. Karon/Kata

Hi,

I am thinking perhaps a location for The Old Phuket hotel is better as it is closer to the Karon circle/centre? Or choose a hotel in Kata beach area instead... ?? am a bit worried that we may ended up doing quite a walk from the Horizon (though love the look of the resort!) to both the Kata centre and Karon centre... I assume that's where most of the shops and restaurants are located?

Thank you so much in advance!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
764 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking Distance.. Karon/Kata

The Old Phuket is only 5 or so minutes easy stroll from Karon Circle with plenty of shops, restaurants etc in the vicinity. Not to mention the restaurants, right outside the hotel and the markets only a few minutes walk away. It is a great location. You may find that you actually spend a fair bit of time in both Karon and Kata, both nice areas with plenty to see and do in both places, though our preferance is Karon. I'm not sure exactly where the Horizon Beach resort is located so cant speak on walking distance to various locationslocations.

Andy

8. Re: Walking Distance.. Karon/Kata

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, December 27, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Karon
Recent Conversations