We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas 2009

Which Karon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Norwich, England
Level Contributor
3 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas 2009

We are going to be in Karon for Christmas 09. It is our first trip to Phuket as a couple, (my hubby has been before but not at Christmas). Can anyone tell me what, if anything goes on over Christmas? I am so very excited and starting to wonder what to expect.

Thanks

Ani!

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas 2009

Nothing to expect. Christmas is not celebrated in Thailand as we are not a Christian Country. In Phuket, the mix is about 50/50 between Muslim and Buddhist. Hotels will have special dinners etc for western guests, and there may be some Xmas style decorations in some place to amuse the tourists. The major celebration in December is HM the King's Birthday, when decorations and illuminations are in place from 5-31 December.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,923 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas 2009

HI

Many of the hotels have a celetration night and charge an arm and a leg for it.

Might see you there, as we will be in neighbouring Kata!!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas 2009

Just another excuse for a party and any will do. A lot of the bars get a decent crowd and everyone is really happy and in the party spirit, but I think New years would be even better in Bangla road.

Last time we went for xmas we stayed at a hotel that didn't charge for gala dinners, so we went to a restaurant for the evening with friends. Sue

Nottingham
Level Contributor
130 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas 2009

Hi Ani

I can tell you what not to expect and that's cold weather, worry of a recession & buying Christmas pressies. But seriously not stopped in Phuket before so 1st time for the wife and me, but have been in koh samui and Pattaya and can assure you it beats the UK hands down. Roll on the 19th December.

Norwich, England
Level Contributor
3 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas 2009

It sounds absolutely perfect - thanks guys. I can't wait, I wish we could be there for new year too. Roll on 12th Dec - 83 days to go!

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
249 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas 2009

if youve not been to phuket on xmas before your in for a shocker, all that lazing around on beautiful beaches having massages cooling off in the andaman sea and generally getting pampered and thats in the day,

then evening comes and the food and evening festivities begin everyone relaxed , enjoying and meeting all different types of people from all over the world, do you really think you can cope.

ps you wont need a coat or any woollies

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
249 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas 2009

forgot to mention , might see you there if you call in the sannook bar, you cant miss us we welsh

Norwich, England
Level Contributor
3 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas 2009

ah ha..... yucki dah - excuse the spelling!

9. Re: Christmas 2009

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 27, 2010