We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mountain Biking - Standalone accommodation

Brisbane
Level Contributor
193 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Mountain Biking - Standalone accommodation

We're planning a trip to the Snowy Mountains end of Feb 2014 for some mountain biking. My husband wants to hit the Thredbo trails amongst others while I may just meander along the beginners/scenic paths. I've let him loose to research the trails whilst I am seeking accommodation.

We would prefer to not stay somewhere like the Thredbo Village. We are looking for:

- 7 night stay

- a house, cabin or unit in a small complex;

- a separate bedroom to living space is not essential;

- self-contained;

- prefer no more than 30-40 minutes drive from Thredbo;

- under $1,000 for the week.

Also if you have any suggestions for great trails other than in Thredbo, please let me know and I can pass them on.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mountain Biking - Standalone accommodation

I think your best option is Jindabyne. There is plenty of accommodation in that price range at that time, and some restaurants to choose from. Most of the real estate agents in Jindabyne have lots of rentals.

Re mountain bike trails, I don't think you'll find any others in the national park itself, as it's very heavily regulated. Perisher Blue Resort is not open through the summer, but perhaps you could bike the fire trails. Ring K National Park at Jindabyne and have a chat with them.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
193 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mountain Biking - Standalone accommodation

Thanks, I was checking out accommodation last night and for the price of a studio in Thredbo or Crackenback, we have access to multiple 2 bedroom options in Jindabyne. The extra space will come in handy to store the bicycles inside. Husband now wants to take road bike and mountain bike.

Now to choose one.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,088 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mountain Biking - Standalone accommodation

Another option is to stay somewhere along the Alpine Way (road between Jindabyne & Thredbo). There are some gorgeous spots along there and you are in the bush. Try Pender Lea Chalets, Alpine Habitat or search a site like stayz.com.au for other rentals. If you love being in the peace of the bush, this will make your stay really special.

Oz
Level Contributor
13,338 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mountain Biking - Standalone accommodation

Hi,

One thing you may not be aware of is that very few places have airconditioning in the Snowy Region. Not surprising as most is utilised during ski season and at altitude it usually isn't too hot in summer. However Feb can sometimes be blazing hot in the mountains.

In a previous life I had to find accommodation for fire crews in the area that were working nights. It was impossible to find airconditioned accommodation so they could sleep during the day. The "coolest" in temperature was "The Station". The facilities were pretty basic but that was a few years ago and it may have been upgraded by now? BTW it is a "Perisher Property" but it isn't at Perisher it is just out of Jindabyne.

http://www.perisher.com.au/the-station/

Cheers,

Edited: 9:59 pm, July 24, 2013
Sydney
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mountain Biking - Standalone accommodation

It invariably cools off in the evenings though. At the end of Feb, I think the OP is more likely to need overnight heating than cooling.

Oz
Level Contributor
13,338 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mountain Biking - Standalone accommodation

Hi,

Once you have tried the Oz mountains I've included a link for something better in Wanaka, NZ just for Tez ;-)

nspecto.com/mountain-bike-downhill-in-nz-bro…

Cheers,

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,088 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mountain Biking - Standalone accommodation

"a house, cabin or unit in a small complex;

- a separate bedroom to living space is not essential;

- self-contained;"

Not something you would get at The Station Resort which is made up of pre-fab buildings to make up "motel rooms" which are all VERY noisy. OK for cheap accommodation although I would think our firefighters would deserve better. Plenty of accommodation with A/C in summer if you know where to look - just ask a local!

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mountain Biking - Standalone accommodation

You'll find plenty of options in Jindabyne. There would also be very few food options availale in Thredbo at that time. And hubby should take both bikes - from Jindabyne , he can do either the ride to Thredbo or Charlotte's . Its a pretty solid climb to Charlottes. He might like to do this some time:

hopestreet.org.au/newsEvents/ridetothetop.htm

My cycle addict brother did it a few years ago and loved it.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mountain Biking - Standalone accommodation

McLure Circuit is a good area to stay - close to the lake, often a nice view, walking distance to shops. Pub next door (Lake Jindabyne Hotel ) can be noisy, but I think in Feb, they wouldn't have bands so should be fine.

10. Re: Mountain Biking - Standalone accommodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, November 26, 2016