We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time skiers

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
15 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
First time skiers

Hi I am travelling to Jindabyne with 3 boys 7,9,11 in September for ur first experience of snow. Any top tips? We only have 5 days, what should we do?

Mentioned in this post
Jindabyne
Jindabyne
New South Wales, Australia
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
16,984 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time skiers

Hi. My first thought was ONLY 5 days? I found muscles I never knew I had after just one day (and that was when I was much younger). Anyway, I haven't been in winter for many years so you'll get good specific advice about that from others, but I wanted to mention in case you're not aware that the snow isn't typically down as far as Jindabyne. So, to get things going a few questions. Have you booked accommodation in Jindabyne? Will you have use of a vehicle? Did you want mostly ski lessons or a variety of activities like tobogganing in addition to skiing?

Mentioned in this post
Jindabyne
Jindabyne
Oz
Level Contributor
14,123 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time skiers

Hi,

If you want to ski you will need lessons, otherwise you will be a danger to yourselves and others. Obviously hire your gear and a package of lift tickets and lessons is the best value for money. The three year old will gat tired and cold much earlier than the other children. Make sure you cater for short exposures to the snow and use the creche for the little one.

If you are staying at Jindy you have to commute up the road to the ski fields. You will need chains for the car (it is an offence not to carry them), know how to fit them and pay entry into the National Park unless you have an annual entry parmit that includes Kosciuszko NP.

Cheers,

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time skiers

and watch out for sunburn!

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,132 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time skiers

At ages 7,9 & 11 - your kids are going to have a great time! Perisher Blue have bundle packages available which include ski hire, skitube tickets, lift tickets and lessons. See here: perisher.com.au/tickets-passes-accommodation… to buy online for further savings.

The skitube is a train that takes skiers from outside the national park to the skifields so you generally don't need chains to drive to the train station and you don't have to worry about negotiating mountain roads every day on your way up to the snowfields. (If you do, it's probably a nasty day for skiing anyway).

September is a great time to travel as the peak season is over an even more savings are available while snow is usually still really good for beginners.

I would suggest a 3 day ski package would be more than enough for your first trip. Use the other couple of days to explore around Jindabyne or just travel up to the mountains to enjoy snowplay - maybe even visit Thredbo on one day.

Edited: 6:56 pm, July 11, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Jindabyne
Jindabyne
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
16,984 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time skiers

Really good point about the sunburn, people forget about that away from the beach but at higher altitudes and with all the reflected glare it's definitely an issue!

6. Re: First time skiers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, July 26, 2017