We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kata or Koh Lak for honeymoon Febuary 2014

London
Level Contributor
24 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Kata or Koh Lak for honeymoon Febuary 2014

Hi guys, hoping for some help for our honeymoon next Febuary.

It's our first time in Thailand & we are doing 2nights Bangkok, 2 nights chiang mai & then a beach resort for 7 nights & we have whittled it down to either Koh Lak or Kata- any thoughts on the better one for a honeymoon?

We are in our late 20's, want good beaches, opportunity for a trip or two, restaurants within walking distance & maybe a few chilled bars in the evening.

Any help, recommendations or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
783 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kata or Koh Lak for honeymoon Febuary 2014

Kata beach is more beautiful but Khaolak is less busy and more private.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
44,861 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kata or Koh Lak for honeymoon Febuary 2014

Kata is one beach, albeit very nice but also full of loungers. Khao Lak has over 25km of beaches whose beauty is largely unspoiled by such rows. There is accommodation to suit all budgets and tastes and restaurants both on or overlooking on the beach and nearby. Have a look at this link that takes you to the othes of the various beaches in Khao Lak tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

Plenty of information on Khao Lak if you are interested or want more information at tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g297914-i10908-K…

London
Level Contributor
24 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kata or Koh Lak for honeymoon Febuary 2014

Thanks for you comments guys, much appreciated & that link was great too- thanks you! :)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
193 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kata or Koh Lak for honeymoon Febuary 2014

I had my honeymoon in Khao Lak last year and fell in love with the place! We celebrated our first anniversary there earlier this year and back again for anniversary next year.

Khao Lak is much nicer than Kata IMO.

Good luck for your big day!

London
Level Contributor
24 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kata or Koh Lak for honeymoon Febuary 2014

Thank you Jocus :)

Can I ask where you stayed in Khao Lak for your honeymoon & did you combine it with any other resorts?

Many thanks in advance :)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
193 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kata or Koh Lak for honeymoon Febuary 2014

Hi MrsPC,

We stayed at The Sarojin which was perfect for a honeymoon and has a beautiful beach. It's about 10 minutes drive from Bang Niang where the markets are.

For our first anniversary, we stayed at the ramada which is in a great location within walking distance to lots of restaurants and the markets.

At both resorts we stayed in a pool villa so we had extra privacy - well worth it if you can budget for it :)

I would stay at either resort again but we have booked our third stay at casa de la flora.

UK
Level Contributor
736 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kata or Koh Lak for honeymoon Febuary 2014

agree with khao lak as the greatest beach resort (!) but would recommend that you spend 3 nights in chiang mai and a day less at the beach. There is so much to do up in the north. Another tip- get a direct flight from CM to phuket airport. We use air asia but thai airways also runs this route as a nonstop flight. Both leave CM midday so you can have a leisurely morning in CM, and still arrive in Khao Lak in time for a walk on the beach before dinner. Can't beat it.

London
Level Contributor
24 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kata or Koh Lak for honeymoon Febuary 2014

Thank you both for your suggestions :)

Casa de le flora looks amazing, a colleague stayed there 2 years ago & highly recommended it actually. The Sarjoin looks gorgeous I will have a look at that - thank you. I think ideally we would like to be within walking distance of the action so will check out the Ramada as well.

Yes we were hoping to do 2 nights in Chiang Mai before we headed to the beach, so thanks for the flight suggestions as a direct flight would save lots of time & money!!

How did you find flying with Air Asia??

Thank you both so much you have both been so very helpful- actually looking forward to getting something booked up now :)

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
London
Level Contributor
24 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kata or Koh Lak for honeymoon Febuary 2014

Apologises SueInWales, I just re-read your post- so u would recommend an extra night in chiang mai? Any recommendations for activities to do there would be very welcomed? Thank you :)

Also how did you find flying with air Asia?

Thanks again :)

Mentioned in this post
Asia
Asia
World
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
193 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kata or Koh Lak for honeymoon Febuary 2014

Hi again,

AirAsia are fine - I've flown with them plenty of times for short flights around Asia with no issues and for half the price of the full service airlines.

If you pop over to the Khao Lak forum, you'll be able to get plenty more info and advice on arranging your honeymoon. Arandora is the destination expert there and he has provided me with so much advice when planning all my trips to Khao Lak.

Half the fun is in the planning! Good luck with everything.

Jo :)

Mentioned in this post
Asia
Asia
World
Get answers to your questions about Kata Beach