We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bath cash : option to follow

Which Kata Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Milano
4 posts
Save Topic
Bath cash : option to follow

Hi!

i would need more informations on terms of cash.

Which is the best solution for European people? Change the money to the EXCHANGE POINT or take the money from the ATM POINT (with bancomat or credit card) ?

Let mw know your experience.

thanks

regards

Rawai Beach, Phuket
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
895 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bath cash : option to follow

Best rate for you would be to bring Euros in cash and change them at a bank or money changer.

ATM will give you the same rate but will charge you (usually on both ends) for the international fee.

(the money changer will also charge you a small fee, but it will be less than the ATM fees)

Phuket
Level Contributor
577 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bath cash : option to follow

Drawing money on your European bank card from an ATM machine here in Phuket can cost you as much as 10 Euros a transaction . I would go with Fiddledudes advice , just make sure the notes you bring are crisp , clean new notes (I know from experience that they will only accept USD bills from the year 2000 upwards) as they get funny about old notes here in Phuket at the money exchange booths .

Giles - Offspray Leisure day trips

Edited: 9:49 pm, May 22, 2013
Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bath cash : option to follow

If you are comfortable carrying cash (Euros) the cheapest option is to change your money once you arrive in Thailand at the exchange booths. If you need Baht at the airport, only change enough to get by ie taxi fare.

Use your cards as an emergency measure or for large bills like your hotel.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bath cash : option to follow

#2 385 Baht for each ATM transaction?

Phuket
Level Contributor
577 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bath cash : option to follow

My UK Bank charge me 8 UK Pounds every time I use my UK ATM card to withdraw money in Thailand . My French friend is charged around 10 Euros from his French bank for the same service .

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bath cash : option to follow

Maybe it's just me .But i would dread the thought of carrying thousands in cash , across the globe . I exchange a small amount at home,and use mainly atm on vacation. I think last time i paid 40 dollars cdn in fees.......Big deal.When i spend several thousand on vacation, i find 40 $ well worth the convenience .( Contrary to popular opinion.)

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bath cash : option to follow

Check with your bank how much they charge you, 1% of the exchange rate is quite common (that 1% will be charge over the middle rate, so better than the cash rate). Plus there will be a 150 baht or about 4 Euro withdrawel charge. Normally the cost will be around that 5 Euro in total for ATM withdrawel of 20,000 Baht, more if you use a credit card for that.

Take into account that the ATM withdrawels also offer security, at least compared to having so much cash in your possession.

Also inform your bank you're going to Thailand and make sure your account settings allow you to withdraw in Thailand.

Edited: 1:06 am, May 23, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bath cash : option to follow

#5 thanks Giles the Forex fees and foreign ATM fees charged by one's own bank vary considerably.

I use a MasterCard whose fees are zero. Clearly it is up to each individual to check what their own bank charges for such transactions. I was actually querying what the Thai bank ATM fees were as that is the only relevant factor in determining cash vis-à-vis credit/debit cards.

#6 Thanks Steven - I don't remember been charged even as much as 5 Euro(6 AUD) for each ATM transaction in the past. Even so I agree that is not much.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
981 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bath cash : option to follow

two4travel_10 Just wondering if you've had any issues using your bank card in the ATM's? When we go to the Caribbean my debit card never works in the ATM's it just won't read my card. I don't want any surprises while I'm over there. And yes I agree I would rather not carry large sums of cash with me.

People also mentioned travellers cheques on another forum, are these easy to use? We've never used them traveling.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bath cash : option to follow

The only problem i ever had.Was one night in Patong after 17 shots of tequila.I withdrew some money and walked away without my card ...Woops. My wife also had a card so not a big deal. Wow what a night that was...:). I have a crazy signature that varies under pressure. So travellers cheques do not work for me. Beside that's sort of like listening to your music library on C. D 's......SOOO 90's

Edited: 1:16 am, June 17, 2013