We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metadee or Katathani

Rotorua
Level Contributor
69 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Metadee or Katathani

Help, cant decide between the 2. Like the look of Katathani and know its just over the hill from Metadee, but was thinking maybe a bit far away from all the goings on. Anyone got any advice. Hoilday is for sisters over 30, looking for a nice time away, bit of shopping, beautiful views, beaches, trips etc... Markets and so on

Cumbria, England
Level Contributor
104 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Metadee or Katathani

Hi, sorry I can't help with info about the Metadee but I have stayed at the Kata Thani. the KT takes up an entire bay, the setting and the beach are very beautiful but you wont find any beach shacks here, the hotel is large and takes up the entire frontage. There are 4 or 5 little local restaurants on the road outside the hotel and a little shop but nothing else. The next little town is over the hill maybe 15 mins walk but taxis are easily and cheaply available outside the hotel. If you like to easily walk to a variety of shops, bars etc then perhaps the KT isn't for you. hope this helps.

Rotorua
Level Contributor
69 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Metadee or Katathani

Thanks it does help, I leaning more to Kata beach area, as would be nice to just wonder around trying out different places each night for dinners and shops etc.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
Level Contributor
3,994 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Metadee or Katathani

The Metadee is more closely located within walking distance to some great restaurants, shopping and some night life. The Katathani is located directly on Kata Noi beach and you would need transport to go over to Kata beach etc.

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Metadee or Katathani

Katathani is beachfront though and during the day it is not really a difficult walk to shopping restaurants.. people do it all day...... I work near Katathani.

Katathani is not isolated but not in the thick of things.

I would pick beach front if you want to not have to walk to the beach.. and Kata Noi is nicer than Kata Beach I think..

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Metadee or Katathani

Have a look at Mom Tri's Royale. Get to have a view of Kata Noi Beach and not too long a walk back down the hill to restaurants at Kata.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,493 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Metadee or Katathani

The only problem with the Katathani is that you need to get a tuk tuk or taxi in the evening to Kata or Patong for a better choice of restaurants but the setting is beautiful.

Rotorua
Level Contributor
69 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Metadee or Katathani

Thanks, yes was thinking that myself. We are not going until June, and I've read that the beaches are not safe for swimming at that time of year. Also can walk over to the Katathani for photos and walk along beach. I like the idea of being able to just go for a walk in the evenings, maybe night markets that could be happening and so on. Thanks for the feedback, it has helped a lot :}

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
169 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Metadee or Katathani

If you like walking round shops at night, a variety of restaurants and street night life then Kata beach is better option.

I am staying for 5 weeks at the Villa Elisabeth boutique hotel at the southern end of Kata Beach and it is fantastic.

Easy access to nightlife, choice of restaurants, banks, ATMs etc.

Everyday I walk over hill to Kata Noi beach which is a fabulous beach and much nicer than Kata beach.

Personally, I would feel isolated at night at the Katathani hotel. I travel solo.

Kata beach has much more on offer at nighttime.

Tia :)

Rotorua
Level Contributor
69 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Metadee or Katathani

Thanks MissTa, yes i have decided to stay Kata beach area after feedback received. Like you say can walk over to Katathani area in daylight hours, but not the other way around for walking at night.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
169 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Metadee or Katathani

Good choice.

You will not be disappointed.

Walking to Kata Noi in daylight is much better as it is a busy road with scooters, delivery vans and water tankers negotiating the bends and hills. Plus cars parked on side of road blocking ''so called pavement' which means having to walk on roadway.

Much safer in daylight.

Tips.

Check out the Mom Tri art gallery on way passed.

Sunbeds and parasol on Kata Noi cost 100 baht per person.

89 steps down to beach. Good workout every day. Down OK, coming up gets the heart pumping!!!

Get answers to your questions about Kata Beach