We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jelly fish in Kata

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Jelly fish in Kata

Hi all,

We will be staying at the Katathani Beach Resort for 2 weeks from the 17th of December with our 5 and 2 year olds.

I would like to find out if the jelly fish are active at this time of year and if so are there nets or a protected area to swim on Kata Noi.

Thank you

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
6,155 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jelly fish in Kata

Nobody can tell you whether jelly fish are active or not, depends on several factors, and time of year is not one of them.

Can tell you though that there are no nets, plus can also tell you that there are no dangerous jellyfish on the Phuket westcoast beaches.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jelly fish in Kata

stevenl is right...At worst the jellyfish will give you a horrible urge to scratch....

The urge to scratch is strong....Try to avoid scratching,it will only make the itch worse....

I have surfed Kata heaps and rarely have I seen one....however,this was in low season when waves abound...Tho',I have brushed by a couple surfing in Khao Lak and they did make me itchy especially on the tender parts...Inside thighs,arms and neck...

There is a rumour that the box jellyfish is active in Thailand's waters but this,I reckon is just that...A rumour...!!...

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jelly fish in Kata

Checking now about the net, normally there is, Katathani puts it up every high season.

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jelly fish in Kata

No net but lots of people swimming.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jelly fish in Kata

Thank you so much for your reply. You have put my at ease. I was getting so nervous especially since we are taking our small kids to Thailand for the first time.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jelly fish in Kata

Thank you all for your replies. I had come across some articles online and started getting really worried. I'm nervous enough about taking my small kids on this trip ;-)

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
6,155 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jelly fish in Kata

"There is a rumour that the box jellyfish is active in Thailand's waters but this,I reckon is just that...A rumour...!!..."

There have been a few sightings, but these are not on the popular westcoast beaches of Phuket.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,683 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jelly fish in Kata

We stayed at the Katathani and there was no jelly fish but I think it depends on the tides and the weather in any case as the others have said the Katathani will put up a net if they are around.

Berwick, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jelly fish in Kata

I don't think you should let the jellyfish situation worry you too much as there are beautiful swimming pools within the hotel complex that suit both adults & children far better than swimming at the beach.

Whether or not there happen to be jellyfish while you are there, you will find the water unsuitable for a 2 & 5 year old beyond knee deep as it can get quite rough.You can easily play with them on the sand & be only a few steps from the pools.

The garden & pool areas are excellent & I am sure you will have a wonderful time with your children.

Enjoy.

Martin

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
6,155 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jelly fish in Kata

"you will find the water unsuitable for a 2 & 5 year old beyond knee deep as it can get quite rough."

In December in general the water will be very calm.

Get answers to your questions about Kata Beach