We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi mafia at Aspasia?

SG
Level Contributor
20 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi mafia at Aspasia?

Read about taxi mafia operating at Avista. As the Aspasia is right next to it, will I be facing the same menace?

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi mafia at Aspasia?

More than likely.

Phuket
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
3,664 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi mafia at Aspasia?

They like to call themselves Mafia, but basically a bunch of thugs, allowed to take over territory to ensure they get all the custom in that area. Its happens throughout the island, and really you just have to accept it no matter how much it grates the nerves.

To have to meet your desired driver down the road because of the underlying threat of violence to him is a shame.

Don't have a disagreement, always set the price before departure, and you should be fine.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi mafia at Aspasia?

No, you won't have a problem at Aspasia - we are staying at Avista right now and while we don't sense any problems our taxi this morning asked us if we minded walking 100 meters over to Aspasia to pick us up.... The driver told us that the "taxi mafia" in front of Avista gets VERY AGGRESSIVE with any taxi that arrives to pick up any of "their" customers.... Crazy, I know!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,100 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi mafia at Aspasia?

Such a shame that the authorities do not feel the need to stop what is basicaly low level but organised crime, is it that they don't understand that from small beginnings major crime grows or is there a nice financial reason behind the unwillingness I wonder!

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,342 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi mafia at Aspasia?

The best thing toursits can do, is to avoid using taxi's run by these people as much as possible

SG
Level Contributor
20 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi mafia at Aspasia?

Thanks all. Looks like Aspasia it is for me.

7. Re: Taxi mafia at Aspasia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 pm, December 16, 2013