We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car/scooter rental

Which Kata Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
100 Mile House...
Level Contributor
336 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Car/scooter rental

How is the traffic in Phuket? We are wondering if a scooter would be dangerous and would be better off with a car? I might add that we are from Canada and not familar with driving on the left. Our other option would be to hire a car and driver. Any idea how much that each would cost?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
533 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Car/scooter rental

Yep, agree.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,931 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Car/scooter rental

We had a tuk tuk driver years ago who took us on a short cut down a little soi before the Chalong Circle. We always use this short cut now.

Also if hiring a car the windows are darkly tinted, helps with the glare thru the day but when driving around at night can be a real problem.

Driving home from the Phuket night markets last trip we had three trail bike riders appear next to the passenger side , no lights on & trying to cut in on us. We straight away had to have the windows right down as because of the tint & their no lights it was scary.

Apart from the above, i have to say exploring by yourself is the best. We have found some amazing places just by heading out sometimes we get lost but it doesn't worry us it's all in the experience & you see more than just sitting around a pool all day. CJ

Merrick, New York
Level Contributor
9 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Car/scooter rental

I ride a bicycle through the streets of New York City (yes, I know it's not the same as a scooter, but still quite challenging) - how much worse can the driving/traffic be in Phuket??

australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Car/scooter rental

I have travel to Thailand number of times used scooter hire without problems last time stay in Patong five day hire we went every around Phuket where think it how you ride is the major problem if you going speed thru traffic which is unsafe or act the goat.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Car/scooter rental

i hired a motorbike last year but didn't ride outside of Kata and Karon. Definitely need to be careful over there.

A question for the locals, I'm staying in Kata again in April 2013 at the Kata Palm resort and spa. Last year I hired a bike off the guys outside of the hotels and left my passport with them. It all seemed a bit unsafe, although i didn't have any issues in the end (aside from having to wait an hour to get my passport back when i returned the bike because the guy holding them was at home asleep).

This time, I'd rather hire a bike from a hotel or actual car/bike rental company. Are there any in Kata that can be recommended?

Phuket
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
3,625 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Car/scooter rental

This one is reputable.

http://tinyurl.com/aqeghn9

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Car/scooter rental

thanks Brio2. Do you know of any based in Kata or Karon. If not, i'll try and check that place out in Patong.

Singapore
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Car/scooter rental

Hi Everyone, I have tried to find in the forum but I couldn't fine the answer. Where can we rent a bike around Kata beach or rather Khoktanod road. Anyone has any feedback or experience to share ? Thanks =)

Darwin
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Car/scooter rental

In kata I have hired at a place just opposite kata beach resort called 'choke' the bikes were not good and he took passport ( got back ok) . Last time I went in April the two bikes I was offered were very bad condition. I ended up going along the road to kata noi and a place called beach inn they were very good bikes and I think we're 250 per day discount for longer no passport just cash deposit no problem after all. I have Australian licence and ride in Aus. The bikes I also liked as they had under seat box to put bag in and not worry about it bring snatched as driving along. Also consider buying own helmet whilst you are there as they just never seem to fit even if it is a crappie . Lou darwin

Singapore
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Car/scooter rental

Hi Lou

Thank you very much for the reply. I was looking for quite awhile for travelers who might be staying around the area and luckily you replied. I have a bike license too and was quite concerned on getting about as its my first time at Kata area. Haha, I know the kinda helmet that they provide, its just for show and has no protection at all. Maybe I should bring my own. Appreciate the reply and thanks once again.