We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sugar Palm Resort or Kata Palm Resort?? Help?

Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
94 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Sugar Palm Resort or Kata Palm Resort?? Help?

Hi Guys

Have narrowed it down to these two.

We will be on our honeymoon, aged 29 & 30 and want to be near to the beach and action. Will stay for 4 nights.

Been deliberating but just cannot decide!!!

Pretty much same in price.

Anyone advise us??

Thank you in advance (seems I cant decide anything now without consulting you all!!)

Wayne

melbourne
Level Contributor
301 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sugar Palm Resort or Kata Palm Resort?? Help?

Hi Suttstar.

Both are located off the same road a couple hundred metres apart.. With Sugarpalm you just cross the road and walk straight to the beach. But with Kata Palm it's a couple hundred metre walk along Club Med's wall then turn to the beach- near Sugarpalm.

I haven't been into either of them.

Hope this helps.

Nat

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sugar Palm Resort or Kata Palm Resort?? Help?

I presume you mean Sugar Palm in Kata beach, not Karon ?

Neither are on the beach, though Sugar Palm is closer, as there is no direct path from Kata Palm resort due to Club Med. It's not a long walk in any case, but it is a consideration. I popped in to KP for a look one night and liked what I saw, but it seemed very quiet there in low season. Even a bit spooky ! I don't know anything about Sugar Palm.

Still, at the prices they are going for in September (what ? pool view around 1300 baht, inc. breakfast), I'd stay at either for sure. All you have to weigh up is the better pool at KP vs the shorter walk to the beach at SP.

And here's a crazy idea - instead of 4 nights at one, you could stay 2 nights at both. That's what I'd do.

...actually, what I'd do, is spend 3 nights at one, then lash out on one night at somewhere nicer and maybe actually on the beach, even if it's not in Kata. Afterall, it is your honeymoon. This is of course presuming you want your last day to be a lazy beach/pool day, otherwise it's a bit of a waste.

A good budget-traveller trick is to check out of your cheap hotel first thing after breakfast, rock up to your new hotel and park your bags with reception, then enjoy the facilities until they let you into the room (usually 2.00 pm). All good hotels will let you do this.

Mentioned in this post
Karon
Karon
Phuket, Thailand
Gunnedah, Australia
Level Contributor
316 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sugar Palm Resort or Kata Palm Resort?? Help?

I have stayed at Kata Palm and found it very nice. Kata Palm has a nice traditional Thai decor. The downside for me was the breakfast. Didn't like it much at all but my husband and kids thought it was great (though they would eat anything so not a good recomendation.)

Like the previous poster said it is a short walk to the beach as the big Club Med wall blocks off the beach. Kata Palm also has a free shuttle down to the beach

Not as much action at Kata as there is in Patong but still plenty of shopping, resturants and bars.

You could always book in for your first night then have a look at the other hotel the next day. If it is in the low season then there will be walk in rooms available at both.

I know its a hard decision. What helped us decide on Kata Palm was the Thai decor. Did not want a westernised looking hotel and feel like I was in a room at the Gold Coast!!

Denise :))

Mentioned in this post
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
Gold Coast
Level Contributor
532 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sugar Palm Resort or Kata Palm Resort?? Help?

I'm with Kitty - we stayed at Kata Palm last October and are returning in just 5 weeks. Love the place, from the teak Thai decor to the lush tropical gardens and pool. Great staff and handy to everything...

Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
94 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sugar Palm Resort or Kata Palm Resort?? Help?

Thank you so much everyone.

I'm still undecided but your advice is a great help, thinking I may just book the one night and go from there?

Anyone have any experience with Sugar Palm Hillside - also looks very nice.

Re: the better place as it is honeymoon, where should I be looking if I was to splash out? (Although we are away for a month so I do have to stick to some kind of budget!!)

Thanks again

Wayne

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,931 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sugar Palm Resort or Kata Palm Resort?? Help?

A new shopping center is being built at the moment next to kata palm, so there may be some noise there from that.

Normally i would prefer kata palm because it looks nicer, more thai, but right now i'd book sugar palm. I really don't like the look of sp hillside, so would not go there.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
166 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sugar Palm Resort or Kata Palm Resort?? Help?

If you were to lash out look at the Kata Beach Spa Resort. It is right on the beach and a great location for shopping, etc...

I have not stayed there myself but I would love to one day :-)

cheers,

nettie

Mentioned in this post
Kata Beach Spa Resort
Kata Beach Spa Resort
97 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
8. Re: Sugar Palm Resort or Kata Palm Resort?? Help?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 14, 2011