We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tuk Tuk prices

Which Kata Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tel
Great Yarmouth U.K
Level Contributor
648 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Tuk Tuk prices

Are the prices on a Tuk Tuk set for certain distances or do you negotiate a price before you set off. Is it more expensive at night and would it be possible to use them to get back to our hotel after an evening out.

Thanks Tel.

Perth
Level Contributor
328 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tuk Tuk prices

Tuk tuk prices seem pretty set for certain distances. For instance when we stayed at the Amari in Patong last year it was 200 baht into Bangla rd and there was no negotiation on that. We have used in between Surin and Bangtao Beach also and they drivers don't seem to budge on price.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
533 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tuk Tuk prices

We have been able to negotiate on occasion by 50 and sometimes 100 baht, but it takes many rejections to get there.

Walking is good for you.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
533 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tuk Tuk prices

Sorry, my edit time ran out. To answer your other questions....

Day/night, same extortionate price. There are plenty out in the evening, well, all the time really as they aren't busy, I don't know how far beyond midnight though. Try have the negotiator in your group reasonably sober and sensible to avoid being fleeced altogether, a slight chance only but there none the less.

gang2x
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tuk Tuk prices

They will always rip you off if you stay in 5 star hotel. It should only be less 100 Bhat around Patong

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
533 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tuk Tuk prices

Think more like 30, the same in Bangkok.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
369 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tuk Tuk prices

Heading to Kata in 2 weeks. Hoping to head into Patong for a night out and visit Bangla Road. Will it be expensive to get back to Kata at night. What is best option, Tuk Tuk or Taxi? Thanks.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
533 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tuk Tuk prices

Same price as the day, it might cost 500-600 baht guessing. You won't get a taxi, you might catch a private driver in his own car charging about the same as a tuk tuk and you'll be in air conditioned comfort, proper seats, standard car safety with seatbelts etc but I think they're operating illegally, do a search if this bothers you.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
369 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tuk Tuk prices

Thanks pokip.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,320 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tuk Tuk prices

"Same price as the day, it might cost 500-600 baht guessing. You won't get a taxi, you might catch a private driver in his own car charging about the same as a tuk tuk and you'll be in air conditioned comfort, proper seats, standard car safety with seatbelts etc but I think they're operating illegally, do a search if this bothers you."

Yes, same price as day: 400 Baht.

Plenty of taxi's, no meter taxi's though, but the taxi's and tuktuks are the same clan. So the price will be the same, the comfort higher but you'll probably be in an illegal taxi. Legal transport for tourists has yellow plates with black letters/numbers or green plates with white letters/numbers.

brisbane
Level Contributor
505 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tuk Tuk prices

The issue of a Patong Tuk Tuk Mafia is well documented.. use the search function. Q and A on Phuket Gazette website is good. The Tuk Tuk rip off is in the news all the time... I refuse to use them ..150 Baht for a few street in Patong is outregeous !! Send an E Mail to the Gazette or the Patong Administration.. I use motor bike taxi...40 Baht anywhere in Patong.