We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guide for dining & night market

Singapore
Level Contributor
92 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Guide for dining & night market

Hi all, i be going to Kata on 2-6 July 2010 for my gf bday.

I booked sugar palm grand hillside resort and just like to check on affordable & good dining areas around the resort. Also any recommended place for a birthday celebration dinner? I understand there are food stalls around kata, but are there any food courts or even hawker centres around that offers low cost food?

Next, we will be touring around night markets at night, just like to check as i understand, kata, karon and patong all have night markets, do they sell the same things? (If yes no pt visiting all 3). Are there public transport available at night for my return trip to hotel or do i have to sit the taxi or tuk-tuk?

Thanks all for your prompt help! =)

Mentioned in this post
Kata Beach
Kata Beach
Phuket, Thailand
Odysseus Greek Organic Restaurant
$$ - $$$, Greek, Mediterranean, European
The Tavern
$, Bar, European, Asian
Istanbul Turkish Restaurant
$$ - $$$, Turkish, Middle Eastern, Mediterranean
gold coast...
Level Contributor
73 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guide for dining & night market

We stayed at the Sugar Palm Grand Hillside same time last year and loved it.

We went to Mali Seafood Restaurant for dinner, also Capannina Italian and for a quick bite try Orchids Rest right next door to the hotel. They do everything for reasonable prices.

Catch a tuk tuk up the hill from Kata and get there before 5pm to catch the sunset at the Sunset Bars and restaurants, very reasonable. Breathtaking!

Mentioned in this post
Sugar Palm Grand Hillside
Sugar Palm Grand Hillside
1,041 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Kata Beach
Kata Beach
Phuket, Thailand
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3,023 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guide for dining & night market

We had our anniversary dinner in Kata last year at Mom Tri's Villa Royale. It was expensive by Thai standards, but not by ours, and ate food, service and views were out of this world.

We are going back next month and going to try Mom Tri's Beachhouse, also in Kata.

Like the last poster, we also ate at Capanninas and loved it, but I wouldn't think it was anything special for a birthday.

Deb

Mentioned in this post
Kata Beach
Kata Beach
Phuket, Thailand
Mom Tri's Villa Royale
Mom Tri's Villa Royale
978 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
queensland
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Guide for dining & night market

H just back from phuket after 10 days. We spent 7 days in patong and 3 days in Karon. After months of reading on this forum I went very prepared. I found the best markets are definatey Old Phuket Town. only 500 baht approx for a driver to take you there from Karon. (Kata is only 10 mins from karon) We went ot the markets in Karon but found you won't beat the prices anywhere in phuket to match the markets in Old Phuket Town. They are on both Sat & Sun from 4:30 till around 11.00pm There is also a bus from Kata that takes you into Old Phuket Town.

cheers and have fum. You can even stop at the markets and have a cold Singa! Beer whild the other half shops!

Mentioned in this post
Karon
Karon
Phuket, Thailand
Old Phuket Town
Old Phuket Town
1,352 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Kata Beach
Kata Beach
Phuket, Thailand
queensland
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Guide for dining & night market

Hi again

Best place we found for dinner was definately the Red Onion Karon . Was quiet when we were there, felt sorry for the restaurant across the road from the Red Onion as they had not one single patron but the Red onion was packed. Perhaps because everybody had seen trip advisor and ised the feedback to visit it. Had the best chicken curry. Fantastic servings at very cheap prices. I was lucky it was quiet as I got a table straight away! Also tried the duvk whic h was cooked to perfection.

cheers

Mentioned in this post
Red Onion
Red Onion
2,295 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Karon
Karon
Phuket, Thailand
perth
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guide for dining & night market

g'day gingerpot,were going in july,was the cab fare to markets 500 there and back? and did they wait for you.

thanks

Tel
Great Yarmouth U.K
Level Contributor
679 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guide for dining & night market

As the Phuket market closes at 11pm what is the best form of transport to get pack to Kata at that time of night.

Tel.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Kata Beach
Kata Beach
Phuket, Thailand
melbourne
Level Contributor
301 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Guide for dining & night market

Hi.

We usually get our driver to drop us off at approx. 5.30pm then he comes back around 9-9.30pm and meets us at the small restaurant/bar. He then takes us back to Kata. He will usually go home in between.

I know of other ppl who take a tuktuk and it waits for them until they're ready.

There are plenty of drivers there waiting for a fare also.

Nat

Edited: 10:38 pm, June 11, 2010
Mentioned in this post
Kata Beach
Kata Beach
Phuket, Thailand
8. Re: Guide for dining & night market

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, December 09, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Kata Beach