We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baan Chang Elephant and Gibbon Centre

Melbourne
3 posts
Save Topic
Baan Chang Elephant and Gibbon Centre

Is the Baan Chang Elephant and Gibbon centre still operating on the outskirts of Kata? Does anyone know exactly where it is?

Mentioned in this post
Kata Beach
Kata Beach
Phuket, Thailand
South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,964 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Baan Chang Elephant and Gibbon Centre

Phil, I was there the day before yesterday and still groomed him through the enclosure and held his hand lol, he was very talkative as well.

Cathy

Melbourne
3 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Baan Chang Elephant and Gibbon Centre

Thanks for the info Kathy and everyone else - it is a sad thing that Charley and Lum Yai are now caged. We were there in, I think, 2005 and we spent about 3 hours with them and Richard (a divemaster) - I found Lum Yai to very gentle and Charley although was boisterous did not seem agressive - perhaps all the fuss and too much exposure to all kinds of people have changed them. I have some delightful photos and memories of my time with them and wanted to tell a young friend of mine (coming to Phuket next week) to go and see them. But I now have a different story to tell her.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Baan Chang Elephant and Gibbon Centre

I have been told with Charlie it has to do with age and dominance. He has reached his sexual maturity and this is natural for primates to get more aggressive.

With women it was easy for him to show some aggression and so he would.

I don't think it had to do with people fussing over him as he was free to come and go then.

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,964 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Baan Chang Elephant and Gibbon Centre

Swimteacher,

It still is a good place to go to and like I said before, they are not in cages and as Kata Noi said they still have plenty of room to swing up and down the hill in their big enclosure.

It would be worse to find out they had been hit by a car, or a local has decided to do away with them due to biting someone etc etc.

Now everyone is safe and more importantly Charley and Lum Yai are safe and happy. So dont be put off, still visit them and see for yourself.

Cathy

Mentioned in this post
Kata Noi Beach
Kata Noi Beach
2,444 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Echuca, Australia
Level Contributor
753 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Baan Chang Elephant and Gibbon Centre

Well I know that when we go in January (fingers crossed) it will be on my list of "must do's". Always good to read this lots of info on here. As with everything I guess a lot have differing opinions and that's OK :)

Cheers

Melbourne
3 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Baan Chang Elephant and Gibbon Centre

Thanks for all the feedback on this topic - I did tell my young friend to go anyway and see Charley and Lum Yai and also to take an elephant trek.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
281 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Baan Chang Elephant and Gibbon Centre

If you are wanting to do an elephant Trek we did Kok Chang Safari which was recommended by people through Tripadvisor he has a website and when we were in Thailand we just rang Chaini one morning and in 20minutes they were at our hotel to pick us up and we did an hour trek through the jungle to the the top of a hill where there was a magnificent view of Kata/Karon. We chose not to see the Gibbons after some of the stories we had heard.

Cheers Josie

Mentioned in this post
Kata Beach
Kata Beach
Phuket, Thailand
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,093 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Baan Chang Elephant and Gibbon Centre

I just thought this is very interesting : Google: thailand environmental concerns

scroll down to elephant trekking-what you might not know..??...

We can all make a choice-Unfortunately some animals do not have a choice...!!??

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Baan Chang Elephant and Gibbon Centre

"I hope this thread does not get all crazy.." As if ! You know what happens.

Coco, ever been to the races ? Put a bet on the Sydney Cup ? The Melbourne Cup ?

"We can all make a choice-

Unfortunately some animals do not have a choice...!!??"

Like the 5,000 to 15,000 racehorses every year sent to the knackery because they can't win a race. Not in some third world country, in AUSTRALIA ! That's every year, year after year. After having to carry humans, not at a gentle pace through the hills of Phuket but AT A GALLOP for our entertainment, being whipped in the process. Their reward is to become pet food (or human food) if they don't make the grade. Never mind Googling Thailand environmental concerns, Google "horse racing kills Australia". Of course, a horse is not as majestic as an elephant, not as rare or exotic, harder to shed a tear over...

http://www.horseracingkills.com/5_2.html

If you are suggesting that tourists should not ride elephants, the harsh economic reality is that there would be no elephants in Phuket if money was not being made off them. And the ones in existence, they'd end up like most Australian racehorses do, pet food. You can only hope that the success of Kok Chang, where I believe the elephants are treated decently, will show other operators the good sense in not mistreating their animals.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Patong, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Baan Chang Elephant and Gibbon Centre

Excellent article about elephant trekking in Phuket here...including the cruelty some have to endure>>>

phuket-guide.net/phuket_activities/elephant.…

Baby elephants at Laguna...they look happy but are they?>>>

…photobucket.com/albums/…52825.jpg

…photobucket.com/albums/…0052825.jpg

There are 177 elephants on Phuket...30 at the Fantasea. I doubt many are enjoying life here. A few days ago I saw 2 way up in the hills above the Kathu Kart track that looked very tatty and p1ssed off.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Phuket FantaSea
Phuket FantaSea
7,053 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Kathu
Kathu
Phuket, Thailand
Get answers to your questions about Kata Beach