We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Break in October

London, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Family Break in October

We are a family that are looking forward to some winter sun in October. After a lot of research we decided to book flights to Malaga and we have been looking at booking some accommodation in Nueva Andalucia near Puerto Banus. The reason we chose this area is because, the accommodation offers a heated pool (ideal for that time of the year), and it is near all the amenities, ie. 15 minutes walk from the beach/restaurants/shops and fast food places for the kids!

I have been reading a lot of negative reviews about how Puerto Banus has become a tacky resort and is not very nice especially in the evenings with drugs and prostitution amongst many things.

Although we don't intend to be out late at night with our kids as they are all under 8 years old, would you say we would be ok in the local area of Nueva Andalucia.

Thanks.

Northeast
Level Contributor
18 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Break in October

Hi,

I have a house in Nueva Andalucia, this area is fine, quite safe! Where are you thinking of staying? October weather can be very mixed, we have had some lovely Octobers, but also some VERY wet ones! It is fairly quiet in Oct, most of the tourism has finished. Puerto Banus itself is very expensive & can be very seedy & tacky especially in the back streets. A better place to go is Marbella Old Town, very pretty, lots of bars & restaurants & much cheaper than the port! If you do get a wet week, there is very little to do in October as a lot of attractions are either shut, or have reduced opening hours. Sorry to be a bit negative, but with young children, would think twice about going in October....

London, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Break in October

Thanks for your response. We've travelled to the med before many times in October so we know it can be a bit touch and go with the weather, but we're not fans of 30 degrees plus temperatures, and at the end of the day, it can't be any worse than a caravan holiday in the UK!

The reason we chose the area is because we were looking for somewhere that had a heated pool, and believe me, not many places do. Another area we found that had a heated pool was Elvira, but isn't that further away from Marbella Town?

I imagine there should be a fairly good bus service from Nueva Andalucia into Marbella, as we do plan to visit. Is Marbella easy to walk around, ie. from the Old Town to the beaches, to shopping areas etc.

Are there any kids playgrounds in the Marbella area? We struggled to find any in Puerto Banus?

Northeast
Level Contributor
18 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Break in October

Hi, yes, Elvira is miles out, you're better off in N Andalucia. Buses are easy to get to Marbella, you can get one from El Corte Ingles into central Marbella. Costs about €1.45 each or you can get a taxi for about €12, they're metered and safe. Marbella is very easy to get around, it's quite compact & you can walk from the old town (Casco Antigua) to the beach (paseo) in 10-15 minutes. Also, if you do get good weather & your kids are animal fans, both Selwo Adventura & Fuengirola Zoo are great to visit as you can see the animals more then, than you can in summer when it's too hot for them!

As for children's playgrounds, there is one in Puerto Banus, just along from the port, at the back of an apartment block called Playa Rocha, look for the statue with no arms at the LHS, as you look at the port (Khans restaurant end) & just walk along the paseo towards Marbella, it's about 3 minutes walk! There is also the Galaxia play centre in the shopping centre opposite El Corte & Christomar- mine are too old for this, but heard good reports about it.

Will keep fingers crossed for good weather, hope you have a good time! If you need any further info, let me know. I'm off on Sun for 2 months.....June

4. Re: Family Break in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, August 11, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Banus