We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Insurance Direct

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
64 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Insurance Direct

Hi. Has anyone used TID for insurance. They just gave me a really good quote for EBC. Any good or bad expereinces information will help other travellers decide. Thanks in advance

19 replies to this topic
France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Insurance Direct

I have used World Nomads few times for trekking in Nepal. They are the best that I am aware of and recommended by trekkers. I have no experience with TID, please check World Nomads for some ideas!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
64 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Insurance Direct

Thanks Rhythm.Will check out world Nomads

Manama, Bahrain
Level Contributor
436 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Insurance Direct

IHI-Bupa also do a good travel insurance policy at reasonable rates which covers virtually all adventure activities including trekking (up to 6000mtrs)

Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Insurance Direct

Another vote for IHI-Bupa.

Be aware that insurrance isn't only about the price...it doesn't help much that they are cheap, if they wont do their job, if you need them.

So google and check out if they have a good reputation also.

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Insurance Direct

Don't use it...

My trip to Fiji and of January has been cancelled due to a Fiji Cyclone.

No hope for credit..no hope for refund...

Total lack of consideration...

Passed cooling period.. wow..

money in the pocket.. simply greed.. never used the again...

Peter Bernatt

Kabul
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Insurance Direct

I have had BUPA annual travel policy for two years and will never ever use them again! The small print needs close attention!

Sandakan, Malaysia
Level Contributor
373 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel Insurance Direct

Hi 625peterB...

What do you mean don't use it? which insurance company?

Hi Bartysuz.....

Can you please explain & share your experience dealing with your insurance so that those of us who are trying to get insurance for trekking know what to check in the details.

Appreciate your feedback please.

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel Insurance Direct

Well:)

After my complain to Travel Insurance Direct - their decide to give me a full refund.

Means that I am happy to use their services in the future:)

regards

peter

Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,001 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel Insurance Direct

I also had a bad experience with Travel Insurance Direct, they badly let me down on my 2006 trip to Nepal when the British Government put a warning to travellers out on Nepal.

I rang Direct Travel Insurance to see how my cover was and they said if I chose to go in spite of the British Government put a warning to travellers then I wasn’t covered, They also said that I wasn’t covered if I cancelled my trip because If I cancelled then I was doing so of my own volition and hence no cover – So basically I wasn’t insured if I went and I wasn’t insured if I didn’t go – Talk about the Best of both worlds, For the Insurance company that is

Oh Hum

Rob

Perth, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel Insurance Direct

Do not use Travel Insurance Direct.

I've have had a bad experience with them recently while trying to claim stolen goods while on holiday.

It took them nearly 4 months to even give me a decision and they make you jump through so many hoops while trying to claim.

I will never use them again.

Reply to: Travel Insurance Direct
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted