We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trek Nepal - good in an emergency

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
191 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Trek Nepal - good in an emergency

I have never trekked with Trek Nepal. However, my daughter & a friend went on a 2 week Everest Base Camp trek with them. She got Altitude Sickness pretty badly & had to be rescued by helicopter & taken to hospital in Kathmandu this morning.

I can't fault the companies handling of the situation. From the on site guide & staff who assessed her & administered medication, to the company management in Kathmandu, who kept me informed all the way through. They phoned to let me know she was being rescued. Organised & coordinated rescue & insurance. The boss flew from Kathmandu & went in the helicopter to pick her up. He rang me again when she was at the bottom & advised she was being flown on to Kathmandu hospital. When the helicopter landed there was an ambulance standing by. They have arranged a hotel for her & stayed with her. The boss has given her his tel no & asked her to call him every day for the next week.

Many reviews will give an insight into the company & tour highlights. However it is rare that you discover how a company copes in an emergency. As far as I'm concerned Trek Nepal more than rose to the challenge & I cannot fault their responses or actions.

Thank you Trek Nepal for quite possibly saving my daughters life.

Kathmandu
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trek Nepal - good in an emergency

Before Trek must to know high altitude info .Thats great she is fine now.rare case rescued for trekkers incase they must rescued.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
707 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trek Nepal - good in an emergency

It is difficult to judge without all the information, but I would never ever go with a company where someone's trip ends in having to be rescued due to Altitude Sickness. Altitude sickness is preventable! So they might dealt very good with the situation afterwards, but it NEVER should have occured in the first place.

Altitude Sickness can be prevented as long as you listen to your body, tell your guides honestly how you feel , understand how much meters you can ascent per day and know what to do when you have mild AS symptoms (stay on altitude or even descent. )

Kathmandu, Nepal
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trek Nepal - good in an emergency

Acute Mountain Sickness AMS or commonly known as High Altitude Sickness is a natural phenomenon in high altitude locations above 3000m in case of the Himalayas.

One cannot blame a company or an individual for this cause.It is preventable but NOT Avoidable.

Pre Orientation and constant exchange of information about the group members is extremey important in the mountains.The guide should see for himself how his clients are during the trek and the Trekkers should also tell his/her Guide or a group member how s/he is feeling.At the time of exchange of his or her physical considion, if it is a case of AMS, either a guide or anyone from the group will decide what to do further.

A Helicopter rescue NOT an good option all the time.A one day rest at a low altitude recuperates in most cases.There are also many phases of AMS.The guide or anyone with a knowledge of symtom of AMS should decide.

Raby

London
Level Contributor
1,370 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trek Nepal - good in an emergency

I am glad that your daughters are safe.

However I would suggest that the trekking company they were with failed in some way to help and guide them correctly which could have avoided the sickness at the first place. It is the responsibility of the guide of the trekking company to advise their clients about the dangers of the altitude sickness and how to avoid them.

Me and my daughter returned from Gokyo & EBC last week and while we were there were very surprised to see so many people were being rescued due to altitude sickness.

Altitude sickness is avoidable as long as one is not in hurry.

Kathmandu
Level Contributor
928 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trek Nepal - good in an emergency

Altitude sickness is not like other normal kind of sicknesses. It's different than any other sicknesses and there are not any medicines that will control 100% of this sickness. Definitely there are few medicines of acitazolamide [Diamox is acitazolamide family medicine / Diamox is the brand name] which will help one to get more oxyzen in high altitude.

May be the company could not give sufficient information about altitude sickness than's in one hand but it's very good to hear that at least they did good job to rescue your daughters. It's a good news about a agency that they gave well care to their clients.

And, altitude sickness can not be avoided 100% because it's not a disease. There are not any medicines made to avoid it 100%.

Last month when I was in Gosainkunda Trek with my 2 American guests, one of them got altitude sickness in about 3000 meters, but still I took them to 4380 meters for the stay because I was confident that I will make him feel good even he is sick. I did good and he could do the trek happily although he had altitude sickness. It's all about how you treat the sick person and sickness. Even if you have altitude sickness and if you care it a lot you can do better.

Edited: 11:47 am, November 19, 2010
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
707 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trek Nepal - good in an emergency

@5 guideupendra

You as a guide are responsible for your group, so I do not understand why you brought the tourist to 4380 Meters instead of going slow (stay or go down)?

What would you have done if this tourist got HACE or HAPE?

Kathmandu
Level Contributor
928 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trek Nepal - good in an emergency

Janjans, actually I have very good experiences and knowledge about altitude sickness. There were two reasons to take them more up even they had altitude sickness. The first reason is it was just the beginning of the altitude sickness and it was normal. For me, as a guide I have many experiences about altitude sickness. I know how can we go more up even we have altitude sickness. I applied what I knew in past years about this sickness. So, they were fine and I was confident about my job.

The second reason was; it was their wish to reach that place. I was sure that when there are 2 people if 1 is not able to complete the trip then definitely the another one will feel that he could not do the trek. So, they told me to continue further; because they want to complete the trek. Then I started to use my knowledge about this sickness with them, finally he was ok the very next day. The altitude was gone! I believe that I have good knowledge about altitude sickness because I had a special class from Himalayan Rescue Association some years ago!

Save Reply
8. Re: Trek Nepal - good in an emergency

All of you should appreciate Trek Nepal for his good job instead of explaining about AMS now, unfortunately it had happended and fortunately they are fine...thats the most important part of her post...c'mon!!!

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
13 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trek Nepal - good in an emergency

Hello, reviewer, thank you for your note. Appreciated, I think most of the trekker in that region well prepared NOT only for altitude sickness for other possible problems...us as a responsible operator such a cheap comments are not acceptable,

Most importantly you cannot judge some one healthy by having your finger in the keyboard. You need to be in the practical field.

Thus if you would like to be shown in Trip Advisor page, come with good sense of writing so other reader will have respect for you.

Thank you...the owner

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
13 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trek Nepal - good in an emergency

Thank you sir for simplifying the issue and this is how we suppose to be understanding.

Highly appreciated for your judgement

the owner