We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trek from Lukla to Thyangboche Monastery

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trek from Lukla to Thyangboche Monastery

I am interested in hiking form Lukla to Thyangboche Monastery. I have looked at the maps and see that this appears to be a relatively straightforward journey, so I would rather do it on my own rather than hire a guide or a porter. Is it feasible to hike in this area without a guide or porter? How do you make arrangements for accommodations if you do this as a DIY trip rather than going through an agency?

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,354 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trek from Lukla to Thyangboche Monastery

Yes, you CAN do it on your own: as you say the route is obvious. For accommodation you merely arrive at one of the many lodges and ask if they have a room available.

As to whether it's better to do it on your own, a few thoughts.

Carrying your own sack can be painful, particularly on the ascents

You score no 'Brownie points' for back-packing - generally the Nepalese are unimpressed by what is perceived as a cheapskate option. Employing a guide / porter, although a minimal cost by western standards, contributes to the local economy

A guide / porter will probably add greatly to your appreciation of the local culture

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trek from Lukla to Thyangboche Monastery

ditto above, take it easy and for the relitively few bucks a day, support the local economy and gain some personal insight into the economy, culture and sights along the way. This is something most of us don't do more than once, so get all you can out of the experience.

Kathmandu
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trek from Lukla to Thyangboche Monastery

A female friend of mine and her friend did the Tengboche trek from Lukla recently. It can be trekked on your own. However, as suggested above, you might get a better insight by having a company of a local person. That person might just be handy and make your trip a lot easier so that you can relax and enjoy the trip rather than worry about small things.

Kathmandu
Level Contributor
928 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trek from Lukla to Thyangboche Monastery

Hello there,

I would recommend you to hire either a guide or a porter as suggested above. But still if you want to trek this part alone yourself then it's not so hard. The trail is without confusing junctions so that you won't be following wrong trail. For the accommodation arrangements, there are numbers of lodges available and you can ask in the lodge to provide you rooms. But, always have your dinner at the same lodge that you are staying.

europe
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Trek from Lukla to Thyangboche Monastery

Don´t forget to inform yourself about altitude sickness and the symptoms and the ways to avoid it the best you can.

6. Re: Trek from Lukla to Thyangboche Monastery

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, March 31, 2010